My budgie bites and doesn’t seem to want to be with me

ChloeBallerina

Jun 7, 2022
Parrots
Budgies
I have had my budgie for like 3 - 4 months and i worked with him to be comfortable with me and my hand. He was stepping up and accepting millet from my hand. I wanted to start target training him and teaching him tricks. But in the past 2 weeks he has gone backwards and has started biting my hand and acts as if he wants nothing to do with me. I’m not sure where to go from here?

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Griffen, John, Pippen, Snowy, Sunny
I have had my budgie for like 3 - 4 months and i worked with him to be comfortable with me and my hand. He was stepping up and accepting millet from my hand. I wanted to start target training him and teaching him tricks. But in the past 2 weeks he has gone backwards and has started biting my hand and acts as if he wants nothing to do with me. I’m not sure where to go from here?
How old is he? Did any sudden changes happen in his environment?

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Six months is about when small parrots can begin to hit birdy puberty. He may just be feeling a little bit hormonal. If nothing else has changed with you or his environment, I would take it slow and go back a few steps on training.

Some birds also like to go three steps forward, two steps back. The things that trigger their regression can be stuff that doesn't even register for us - they're very sensitive as they are prey animals. My Amazon took a week before he'd forgive me for cutting my hair!

I think training a bird is half about them training you. It's just as true for the little guys as it is for the bigger birds. With patience and perseverance you will get through this!

Most Reactions