New cage for GCC

meltedrose

Nov 28, 2012
New Mexico
Parrots
Caspian - Green Cheek Conure
So I'm finally upgrading Caspian from his baby cage. I've been asking around for ideal sizes(I know big) and bar spacing and such, and I've been getting mixed answers. Some people said at least 18x18x18, others, 24x24x24 ,and so on. Plus bar spacing is all over the place. So I think I found a cage that would be good for him, but I wanted to get some opinions on it since I love hearing from all sides, and critiques and such. Would this cage be good?

$(KGrHqN,!g0FC1yPYgseBQ3U9(p7PQ~~60_3.JPG

:confused:

Says Inside Dimensions: 16.7" W x 16.7" D x 31.3" H
Bar Spacing: 1/2"

I saw this cage at my petsmart, but in a tan color...I am trying to find good cage for a conure I am getting, so I would love to hear what others say :)

Oooh tan. This one only comes in white, which I am not a huge fan of, shows too much dirt, among other things >.>

Those inside dimensions are too small IMO. I use a flight cage orf each of my parrots It is 21"depth, 31" side to side and 35' high. then 1/2 "bar spacing. the cages come with a stand on wheels that it fits into. ans a bottom shelf for storage. They have a flat top and I put toys and a portable play stand on the top. That cage gives the bird lots of room to climb around and lot of room for perches and toys. @ I bought from ebay for 119.oo And the other one I bought at a bird show for 75.00 . Ebay had free shipping by the way. They are active birds and need a lot of room:)

Is this the type of cage you were talking about?

407a_12.JPG

Cage dimension: 32''L x 20''W x 35''H
Bar spacing: 3/8''

That's the one I bought, on ebay, in a tan color. You can get good deals with free shipping on those on ebay.
I was told that they were good flight cages because of the width. :)
Mine is 32"x20"x56"(with the stand) and 1/2" bar spacing. It doesn't have all those little tiny feeder doors either, just a big door in the middle and then 2 nest box doors on the sides.

Hrm. All I can find is cages that look like the bars are waaay to thin. Caspian chews on EVERYTHING. Even his bars -.-. I'm worried about him snapping them or something and getting injured. I liked the sturdyness of the white one. I have him out all the time, so I figured it would be okay for him to chill and play in there a bit. But I don't know.

The cages I find on ebay are either way too big, with bar spacing that he could slide through, or little tiny flimsy ones. I'm so mad :mad: lol

I suppose what I should be asking is, what is the ideal, go to, best, bar spacing for green cheeks?

Both 1/2" and 5/8" are perfect, Green Cheeks won't be able to put their head through. 1/2" is fine for Green Cheeks because their beak is not strong enough to break or bend the cage wire. The 5/8" is stronger and the cage will be more substantial, for bigger Conures you definitively would want the 5/8". Both are acceptable for Green Cheeks.

Finally an honest, informative answer! I've been asking this question for such along time and I get such mixed answers. He also likes to slide along the cage. He goes from his rope perch, to the bars by the door and slides down, and plays at the bottom then goes for a drink and some food. He also climbs the side like a ladder and goes up and down from perch to perch. So I just want to make sure he won't get his foot caught or stuck in-between the bars.

So would something like this be acceptable?

$(KGrHqN,!i0FC+ybfduRBQ7-OhFz-!~~60_12.JPG

Inside Dimensions 23"W x 21-1/4"D x 34-1/4"H
Bar Spacing 5/8"

Yes! That would be GREAT!

The bigger the better, and if she's out of the cage a lot, it's good!

Last edited:
Oh yes, he's always out. There are times where he is in there longer than I'd like, but he has so many toys, and usually just naps til I can get him out, and he hangs out on his playpen and plays with even more toys and naps some more. But his current cage is too small right now and it's running out of room with all the perches, and toys and such in there. I'm glad I finally found a cage ideal for him, thank you for your help :D

You are most welcome! :)
Where are you getting it from?

Well that was strange. It deleted my message. -sigh- I found that cage on Ebay. My father's old friends raises and breeds all kinds of birds and say they get great cages for the best deals on Ebay(I think they mean the free shipping :-/) so I tried finding the closest dimensions to the ones you posted and found that one for around $169. The URL to it is Playtop 24x22x85" Bird Parrot Flight Cage Cockatiel Macaw Conure Aviary Finch | eBay
I hope that link works.

The first cage I posted was a white version of the one cage the local bird enthusiast pet store recommended. It was $194.

But then again, they wanted to sell me a smaller cage for $179.:confused:

The link doesn't work....

Hmm maybe this will work.

HTML:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Playtop-24x22x85-Bird-Parrot-Flight-Cage-Cockatiel-Macaw-Conure-Aviary-Finch-/400385977985?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5d38dd2e81

Most Reactions

Latest posts

Back