LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Awwwwww, that's precious! Happy Valentine's Day to Ona and her loving family, those treats look delicious! Lovejoy is sending his bouncy bouncy best Valentine wishes to Ona right now too!! 💖

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I recently got a little camera I have pointed at Ona’s cage so during the rare times she’s locked in there I can keep an eye on her. I’m sad about what I’ve observed :( Her sitting there….. doing nothing. In her large flight cage stuffed with toys and foraging…. Just sitting there. Now on a typical weekday she plays on/in her cage with the door open while I work in the room. She plays with all her toys just fine and has a good time, occasionally calling out for attention or step ups. She also spends a lot of time on her play gym playing by herself just fine with us in the room.

So… I’m worried that whenever I do leave the house she just does nothing but sit and wait for me :( Fortunately with working from home she’s around me most of the time or if not my husband is with her. On the few occasions we are both out I’m not sure how to make sure she stays happy. Really worried about Oct when we will be gone for 11 days on vacation. I’m interviewing a house sitter that used to be an avian vet tech this week. But the sitter won’t be in the house all day - only morning and evening and maybe afternoon.
You certainly have given yourself something to worry yourself sick about and I don't blame you! I hear that birds don't like total silence unless they're sleeping because it instinctively makes them think that a predator is nearby. Maybe you should keep the television on moderately loud when you're not home giving Ona a direct close view of the screen. Make sure that what she's watching is more than just dialog. Old-fashioned cartoons with lots of noise and action may be fun for her to watch. It would be very interesting to see if there is any difference in her activity level.
Today I made special Valentine’s treats! I got the recipe from Ona’s Squak Box and my dogs love it too! Win win. It’s just mashed bananas, oats, and carob chips baked.

View attachment 47599View attachment 47600

View attachment 47601
Don't you love it when you make your bird some soft moist food and they clean their beak off by shaking their head sending the stuck on bits flying around the room!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
You certainly have given yourself something to worry yourself sick about and I don't blame you! I hear that birds don't like total silence unless they're sleeping because it instinctively makes them think that a predator is nearby. Maybe you should keep the television on moderately loud when you're not home giving Ona a direct close view of the screen. Make sure that what she's watching is more than just dialog. Old-fashioned cartoons with lots of noise and action may be fun for her to watch. It would be very interesting to see if there is any difference in her activity level.

Don't you love it when you make your bird some soft moist food and they clean their beak off by shaking their head sending the stuck on bits flying around the room!
We often do play her music when we leave. On Monday when I was out for a little while I caught her dancing and playing on camera! Maybe I just have bad timing checking up on her. I think some of the days I checked it I forgot to put her music on as well.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We often do play her music when we leave. On Monday when I was out for a little while I caught her dancing and playing on camera! Maybe I just have bad timing checking up on her. I think some of the days I checked it I forgot to put her music on as well.
I'm so glad she's playing while you're out! I think music and/or TV cartoons keep them entertained. At least that's what I'm going to believe because I can't quit my job so I can stay home all day to entertain my birdies! It also gives them a chance to rest- wild birds take naps too. I tell my Kids that I gotta work to make birdie bucks so I can buy them food and cool toys and pay for doctor visits if they get sick, and pay the heating bills so they stay nice and warm! Such spoiled little creatures, aren't they?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona now loves offering kisses during our pre-shower (or as I call it “birdie sauna”) singing sessions. I’ve also found that if I sing the word “kisses” she will immediately stop her chatter singing to offer a kiss. It is just so cute!

She had her first walk in the backpack of the year this week - on a warm day.

4BAA3757-7B8A-45E6-BA06-83495BACBF3C.jpeg

She’s a lot bigger than when she was last time she was in it. I can tell she missed it and can’t wait until it gets warm enough to take her more often.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Ona now loves offering kisses during our pre-shower (or as I call it “birdie sauna”) singing sessions. I’ve also found that if I sing the word “kisses” she will immediately stop her chatter singing to offer a kiss. It is just so cute!

She had her first walk in the backpack of the year this week - on a warm day.

View attachment 47694

She’s a lot bigger than when she was last time she was in it. I can tell she missed it and can’t wait until it gets warm enough to take her more often.
Ona really does look like she's loving getting back outdoors, she has such an engaged expression on her pretty little face! 😍

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Someone's flight feathers are GROWING IN. They are not all there yet but they are getting long and she is trying to fly more and more. We are going through some growing pains as we learn to mange a flying bird and as she learns how to fly again. We're working on reinforcing a lot of household precautions we didn't have to worry about with her clipped - but it's going well. I work on recall with her just about everyday so she can keep practicing too and we show her the glass on the windows often. Sometimes she surprises me by flying a longer distance than I thought she was capable of! Yesterday she flew all the way from her play gym to land on ottoman! Then upward from the ottoman to the back of the couch! She usually lands pretty clean but she's had a couple of clumsy moments too. Just now she flew from the top of her cage and hit the side of the air purifier..... she sure likes to make me worry. So far the dogs aren't reacting to her flying at all and I'm hoping it stays that way.

We recently did a total kitchen purge after finding out our old primary brand of stainless pans has some PTFE in it. We switched to Caraway and it all just came in a couple days ago. So far so good. It's nice to cook without having to be really stressed about fumes and ventilation.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Someone's flight feathers are GROWING IN. They are not all there yet but they are getting long and she is trying to fly more and more. We are going through some growing pains as we learn to mange a flying bird and as she learns how to fly again. We're working on reinforcing a lot of household precautions we didn't have to worry about with her clipped - but it's going well. I work on recall with her just about everyday so she can keep practicing too and we show her the glass on the windows often. Sometimes she surprises me by flying a longer distance than I thought she was capable of! Yesterday she flew all the way from her play gym to land on ottoman! Then upward from the ottoman to the back of the couch! She usually lands pretty clean but she's had a couple of clumsy moments too. Just now she flew from the top of her cage and hit the side of the air purifier..... she sure likes to make me worry. So far the dogs aren't reacting to her flying at all and I'm hoping it stays that way.

We recently did a total kitchen purge after finding out our old primary brand of stainless pans has some PTFE in it. We switched to Caraway and it all just came in a couple days ago. So far so good. It's nice to cook without having to be really stressed about fumes and ventilation.
I looked at Caraway too but WOW are they expensive! Fortunately I have a very strong exhaust fan over my stove top that vents directly outside. I use it even when I'm not cooking to ensure I have fresh air inside.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Her first go at telling two colors apart:

Two days ago we learned putting the blue paper in the blue bin. Today she picked up on green in the green bin super fast so I started mixing them. I’m so impressed with how well she did!
I think Ona is a genius! I've never met her but I'm in love with her already! I don't think you should get another GCC. You are a great bird Mama and enough for her. It may detract from the amazing bond you're developing and she may not even like the "new bird" and may even resent the new bird. And you need to consider all the time you will need to devote to bonding with another complex parrot personality. Personally I think getting another bird as a companion for a bird isn't that important unless the bird is not tame and probably never will be or if you're not home much. Ona doesn't need to be entertained 24/7. She will learn to entertain herself with all her toys, etc. when you're not home, and she does need to take naps like all birds do. Give her a kiss from me!
By the way, how do you know Ona is a girl? A friend has a new baby GCC and wants to know its sex. I really don't know why it matters if he's not going to breed him/her. Did you have Ona tested?

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I think Ona is a genius! I've never met her but I'm in love with her already! I don't think you should get another GCC. You are a great bird Mama and enough for her. It may detract from the amazing bond you're developing and she may not even like the "new bird" and may even resent the new bird. And you need to consider all the time you will need to devote to bonding with another complex parrot personality. Personally I think getting another bird as a companion for a bird isn't that important unless the bird is not tame and probably never will be or if you're not home much. Ona doesn't need to be entertained 24/7. She will learn to entertain herself with all her toys, etc. when you're not home, and she does need to take naps like all birds do. Give her a kiss from me!
By the way, how do you know Ona is a girl? A friend has a new baby GCC and wants to know its sex. I really don't know why it matters if he's not going to breed him/her. Did you have Ona tested?
Thank you for the kind words. And I agree - she is a genius! The breeder had her DNA sexed which is the only way to tell with Green Cheeks.

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona enjoyed another backpack stroll today!

7C058B3D-D426-443C-9E59-4ABF7E3F2981.jpeg

I just interviewed a pet sitter who used to work at an avian vet clinic and was in vet tech school. She watches dogs and birds. It went well so I’m hoping this works out for a pet sitter for us! Ona of course was not shy about meeting her at all and stepped up for her quickly and proceeded to ask for scritches. She knows no stranger that’s for sure.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Ona enjoyed another backpack stroll today!

View attachment 47801

I just interviewed a pet sitter who used to work at an avian vet clinic and was in vet tech school. She watches dogs and birds. It went well so I’m hoping this works out for a pet sitter for us! Ona of course was not shy about meeting her at all and stepped up for her quickly and proceeded to ask for scritches. She knows no stranger that’s for sure.
Oh she looks like she's loving this! 😍 And I hope your sitter works out, it sure would be wonderful to have someone both you and Ona trust to take care of her - I think Ona would have let you know pretty much straight away if she didn't like her!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
I put a blackberry in her chop this morning as a special treat……

View attachment 47927

Look at that beak!
Oh I love her happy, messy little beakie :love: That blackberry might make for some interestingly coloured poop once it works it's way through too!!

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona has a certain form of territorialism. If you put your hand in her cage/play stand to grab her food bowl and change it out while she's NOT eating - she doesn't care. If you try to re-stuff any of her foraging toys, offer a veggie out of your hand, or put you hand anywhere near her food while she is eating - you better watch your fingers! Oddly enough during training sessions she calmly takes seeds from me but veggies specifically she will get all huffy if you try to hand-feed her one.

If you pretend to play with her toys..... oooh boy. All you have to do is walk up to a toy and oooh and ahhh over it and touch it a little - She gets all puffed up and ties to run to you to say "Hey! That's mine! Don't touch it!" :ROFLMAO: She also gets mad when I switch out her toys and it's a race to undo the toy hook before she makes it to me in time. How dare I give her food and fun?!

I'm not upset about it I just find it interesting. She's been that way for as long as I can remember and I think it's just a weird little quirk about her. I do have to warn new people that meet her - yes you can give her a carrot but do not hold it in your hand and offer it to her!

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I love learning all the little quirks of their personalities!

Cotton is a tattle tale and alarm calls if I'm in another room and Opie goes into the visiting cockatiel's cage to steal sunflower seeds, but only glares if I'm in the room ;) I secretly love it.

Most Reactions