LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I think I can sum up Ona’s personality in this one interaction: Last night I got home very late from volunteering. It was past Ona’s bed time! Though my husband let her stay up because we knew she would be heartbroken if she didn’t see me before bed. When I got home she called “step up” for me, I held out my finger and she gave me a hard pinch with an angry puff :LOL: Immediately followed by two kiss requests and a refusal to get off my shoulder.♥️

This translates: “How DARE you leave me for so long?! Ugh!! By the way I love you very much it’s good to see you. You’re mine now.”

Mar 1, 2023
I decided to make one thread to share Ona updates so it’s all consolidated in one place. I’ve see a few others on the forum do this and think it’s a great idea! I have always have so many updates to share since she’s a new baby discovering everything for the first time ❤️ And she’s just too cute not to share.

Today was her second day home. So far everything has been going SO well. Even better than I anticipated. We had a lot of firsts today:

First blackberry and first carrot:
View attachment 41911

View attachment 41912
When I first showed her the blackberry she was afraid of it. Then I ate one in front of her and she was astonished and amazed. Then she began eating hers. She made quite the mess 😂 Later she ate the carrot with no hesitation.

We also walked her around for a house tour today and had her FIRST BATH! I didn’t know how she would react to the water. I just made a small trickle in the sink and first I let the water bounce from my hand onto her gently. She quickly was chirping with excitement and fully bathing on her own. This was the aftermath 😂❤️

View attachment 41913

We’ve been working a lot on step up and step off. Step up she’s pretty good at most of the time. She’s slowly becoming interested in the toys in her cage.

My dogs have been separated from her so far but when they have seen her they have shown no interest in her at all. Not even barking.

We’re working on a balance of in and out of cage time to get her acclimated to everything. She’s taking it all in like a champ.
not the aftermath she's adorable btw! <3

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
A newer trick…. Shopping! 🛒

The problem is a lot of the little mini groceries are hard for her to pick up. I tore a little of the flap on this box so she could lift it.

This was so easy to teach her because she understands me tapping and pointing at objects now. She very easily gets “put this in this” with just those hand gestures! When I taught her fetch and basketball I had no idea those tricks would turn into such fundamental building blocks. It’s fascinating seeing how those previously learned tricks lead into new ones.

———

She has been flying a lot! Only on her terms though. She will surprise you by flying all the way across room randomly but if I ask her to fly to me she will just sit there and say “step up” :LOL:

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Favorite two handed snuggle cuddle

5413591D-16C1-4E41-BADC-329D74F8CABF.jpeg

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
This thread is so much fun to read! Ona is brilliant! She is as smart as she is beautiful:)

She is one lucky bird to have chosen you!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Favorite two handed snuggle cuddle

View attachment 48336
And THIS is why my household comes to a complete stop for Lovejoy's pre-bedtime snuggle, he demands a two handed cuddle as well! May both he and Ona NEVER grow out of loving them, it's just the sweetest thing ever!! :love:

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
And THIS is why my household comes to a complete stop for Lovejoy's pre-bedtime snuggle, he demands a two handed cuddle as well! May both he and Ona NEVER grow out of loving them, it's just the sweetest thing ever!! :love:
Awww so Lovejoy is a two handed snuggler too. It does make multi tasking hard, ha! Ona’s favorite time for a good cuddle session is after a bath, as in my photo. I hope she never grows out of it too but I’d say chances are high she won’t knowing her!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
With Ona and her Mom's permission, we're moving this thread to the Incredible Journeys forum. I don't want anyone to miss this wonderful thread, no matter what species of bird that they have:)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Awww so Lovejoy is a two handed snuggler too. It does make multi tasking hard, ha! Ona’s favorite time for a good cuddle session is after a bath, as in my photo. I hope she never grows out of it too but I’d say chances are high she won’t knowing her!
I don't think Ona will grow out of it either, you've got yourself a two handed snuggler for life there!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I finally got a good picture of the “pretty” pose!

B891F0EF-9DB5-45A1-8116-B5063F8CB9AC.jpeg

I’ll never forget the first time she did this. It was at the breeders while I was visiting her. She does it several times a day and we always say “pretty” when she does it. We’ve learned it’s how she shows off when she wants cuddles and attention.

Her flight feathers are a different color depending on the lighting. Sometimes they are bright blue, other times a more purple gray. They’re purpley underneath and blue on top and iridescent.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots

View attachment 48547

I’ll never forget the first time she did this. It was at the breeders while I was visiting her. She does it several times a day and we always say “pretty” when she does it. We’ve learned it’s how she shows off when she wants cuddles and attention.

Her flight feathers are a different color depending on the lighting. Sometimes they are bright blue, other times a more purple gray. They’re purpley underneath and blue on top and iridescent.

Her colours are absolutely stunning! She reminds me of when the contestants hold out their gowns in Miss America. She would have won, look how she stole your heart at the breeders with her pretty pose:)
(She has stolen my heart with it, too!)

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Her colours are absolutely stunning! She reminds me of when the contestants hold out their gowns in Miss America. She would have won, look how she stole your heart at the breeders with her pretty pose:)
(She has stolen my heart with it, too!)
I love the gown analogy! I can definitely see that!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots

View attachment 48547

Oh I don't know @onamom, I've never seen a pic of Ona where she wasn't breathtakingly pretty! 😍

OP
onamom

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
I have such an exciting training update to share! I’ve been working with her on colors for a while now - with the trash can and crumpled paper toy. Today we were doing ring toss and I thought why not see how she responds to colors on these? I was so amazed!! She did eventually start getting some wrong but before I started recording she did it about 15 times all 100% correct! I swapped the order of the rings so she wasn’t always picking the same hand. Hard to tell in the video.

She knows red, blue, green. Unfortunately I don’t have a green ring.

Also, quick update on the puzzle trick we’ve been working on. This one was very hard to get going because of the way this combo set is. At first she kept trying to put it through the basketball hoop or ring toss stick. So she’s not getting the pieces perfectly in there yet but she finally understands to put them there on the set.

I told her I’ll have to be careful because if she gets any smarter she might go for world domination.

Most Reactions

Latest posts