One legged CAG; new member

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
6 year old Congo African Grey, she has one leg, we call her Peggy
Thank you for allowing me to register with this site. I am a new CAG Mom. Our Miss Peggy is a one legged lady. She is six years old and settling in nicely. I am a sah wife and Mom to two 13 year old long haired dachshunds, I live in Maine and am very interested in any tips that can help me make our newest family member comfortable and secure. Does anyone else here have a one legged bird? Do you have any special tips? Thank you in advance for any tips that you can give me. :grey:

Sherryanne & Miss Peggy

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
Hi and welcome to you and Miss Peggy.

I see the word 'crochet' in your write up and think you will make friends very quickly LOL. We have a few members here crocheting parrots LOL.

Sorry not much use re your girls physical impairment but sure you will receive some good points soon.

Love a pic or two

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Welcome and be welcomed. Thanks for taking care of this very special girl. In the wild, she would not get much of a chance to survive.
Only suggestion I have is to keep the bottom of her cage and play areas lined with some soft padded mater, in case of falls. Deoes she climb around her cage a lot? I would imagine she has a good handle on that.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wonderful to meet you and hear about your happy family. I had a friend back in New Mexico who had a one-legged parrot. As I recall, the bird really did very well... the beak is such a good "foot/hand" that the little guy got around just fine. I suppose it's super important to have perches that are a good fit for the remaining foot. I'll bet you can soon give US advice on one-footed fids. Glad you found us!

P.S.
If you don't mind sharing, when/how did the loss happen? Are there signs of remaining trauma or frustration?

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Hello and welcome Sherryanne and Miss Peggy!
I don't have any parrots with one leg, but have 3 finches with only one leg, and they really appreciate having flat surfaces to rest on. We have several small shelves in the cage in addition to perches where they like to sit.
I'm so glad you joined us!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Welcome to the Parrot Forums and a very big 'Thank-You' for bring a special needs Parrot into your home. Love is never so deep as when it is returned from a special needs Parrot.

There is a ton of information available on the Web under the search structure for: Special Needs Birds and Handicapped Birds. There are any number hits that will go it to depth of setting up a cage to methods of handling, etc, etc, etc......

I would recommend that you visit our CAG Forum and also the special topic Forums that will cover any number of questions that you may have.

The Forums and the membership can provide a wealth of information regarding living with and loving your CAG. So, specific questions will get the fastest responses.

If you have not yet set-up a visit to your Avian Vet, please plan that for the near future. Your Avian Vet can advise you on specific needs of your girl regarding her handicap. This is very important since a loss of a leg and to what extent can vary greatly. While you are there, please have a new Parrot examination completed including a full blood spectrum test. This will establish a base line for her that will prove to be important should you find the need to be rushing to your Avian Vet with a very sick Parrot.

She will need to use her bill far more than other Parrots to control and help guide her get around. So, it will be important for you understand her need for first holding onto your finger with her bill as part of a Step-Up command. She will also use her wings to create lift to help with getting around. The more you 'with care' involve yourself and your family with her safe transfer and transport the happier everyone will be.

Again, Thank-You for joining our group and a bigger Thank-You, for bringing a special needs Parrot into your live!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Welcome Sherryanne and Miss Peggy!! Very nice to have you join the forums. I think you are wonderful for taking such great care of Miss Peggy. It would be nice to see pictures of her and learn how she has adapted.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations and thank you for adopting Miss Peggy! Looking forward to getting to know you.

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I commend you for taking on this little Lady! I have no tips for you, sorry, but I love crocheting 👍

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

OP
sherryanne1961

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
she gets around quite well, she has a center rope swing in her cage and knows to rock it to get to any perch, dish or toy she has. She even uses her stump in between the bars to balance herself!!
Thank you for responding to my post.

OP
sherryanne1961

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
I do crochet design. I don't think I can post my website here. It is nice to meet you!

OP
sherryanne1961

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
Thank you Plums Mum! I will post some pics soon. I'm happy to here there are other "hookers" here!!

OP
sherryanne1961

sherryanne1961

Sep 18, 2016
Media
Madison, ME
Parrots
Thank you to everyone that responded to my questions. Miss Peggy was just a chick when she lost her leg, a nest mate bit her and left her leg hanging. She is now 6 years old and gets around quite well. She does use my hand for balance or leans on me when she is out of her "room." She has a central rope swing that she has learned to manipulate to get to any perch or toy in her cage. She has a semi circle rope perch on the door that she uses to get on to me, I usually lift her off of the perch and she cuddles with me. I will post some pics of her set up here! I hope this answers some of the questions put to me!! We are so smitten with her antics already!! She asked my dog if he wanted to go out the other day!!

Sherryanne:grey:& Miss Peggy

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Miss Peggy sounds wonderful! I'm amazed how well birds adjust to challenges of all kinds, more so when they have a little help from friends.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I
LOVE
THIS
THREAD !

I love YOU, Miss Peggy. I just fully got the whole thing... peg leg, Miss Piggy, Miss Peggy.

Patagonian hugs to you!!!!!!!!!!!!

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Somebody else mentioned this but I'm going to second the suggestion:

Provide shelves for her to rest on. My avian vet actually advocates for all birds to have large, flat spaces in which to rest, as birds in the wild do, in fact, lay down from time to time. He believes that providing flat places to rest will reduce the incidence of arthritis in older birds, but is even more adamant about shelves for birds with disabilities. My macaw is one winged, so we also have balance problems, but they are, of course, of a different nature than your CAG.

Most Reactions

Latest posts