pics of 12 week old orange wings to compare

westy404

May 20, 2012
UK
Parrots
one orange winged amazon(otto)
hi all, i'm new to the forum and a first time parrot owner, i'll jump straight in i purchased a "baby" orange wing amazon a week ago (otto), i was told he hatched 27/2/2012 so he'll be 12 weeks tomorrow, he's a parent reared bird and not rung as his parents attack the rings. now i was showing another parrot owner close to me a picture of him and he said judgeung from otto's eyes he's not a baby, i'm not fussed if it turns out he isn't a baby just more annoyed the a supposed breeder has lied to me for some reason, so does anyone have any close up pics of their orange wings eyes when they where about 12 weeks?

here's the man himself
DSC00078.jpg

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
no idea about age, but looks like a fine bird

but please no custard creams ( little bit, as in a crumb sized) sugar/fat/salt/caffine high/added foods.
chocolate/advacado/asperagus/apple seeds are TOXIC to birds, when ever you introduce something new, look it up on net to be sure, even something as simple as wood! don't let it chew on any metal unless its stainless steel

an welcome to the forum, more pics be nice an also whats birds behavior like ;)

OP
W

westy404

May 20, 2012
UK
Parrots
he's not agressive happily sits on the top of his cage, were currently doing step up training with him so far he'll put one foot on our hand and will now do it without be given a treat, eats from your hand, he's tagged me a couple of good times.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
lmao welcome to the world of patiance! never react more then a low disapproving sound/word to these bites, there smart an will bully you, like my little nut will do if i give her the chance

but sounds like you have a good start if his already confidant enough to step up :)

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
I'm sure i can find some 12 wk old OWA pic, i have lots. I'll have to wait till the wife gets up, to find them. I doubt that the bird in your pic is 12 wks old also. A couple of things come to mind, at 12 wks he should still be making the baby begging sounds.OWAs wean at about 12 wks and will continue to beg like a baby even if feeding themselves. If parent raised that bird should be very fearful of you, there's no way it would be calmly setting on a perch allowing you to hand it food.Maybe after a few weeks or months but not right away. Yes breeders lie and so do rescues ,rehomers and everyone else. Be careful when asking about birds ,don't offer to many details about what your looking for, let them tell you what they have. Example if you ask for a 12 wk old hen ,they are sure to have one. If you let them tell about what they have you might find out they have an unsexed immature that's 6months old. IMO they sold you a baby they've had awhile , it was probably hand feed but they didn't have the time to keep it hand tame , that's why they said it was parent raised. I'll try and dig up some baby pics for you. I'm sure Otto will make a great pet, no matter his age. He appears to be healthy and in fine feather. Welcome to the forum and hope you read up on your amazon in this section.We have lots of great zon owners here who are happy to help a newbie out, so feel free to ask questions. Richard (because your bird is looking at the camera flash it may make his eyes appear brighter than they really are)

Last edited:
OP
W

westy404

May 20, 2012
UK
Parrots
thanks guys i'm really pleased with him, just now he was letting me give the back of his head a good scratch, im going to wait for my 14 day exclusion period to finish on his insurance then look at getting him to the vet for a once over then if there is anything underlying im covered. thanks again guys :) i'll post regular pics

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
The different Orange Wings in these pictures are between 10 and 14 wks old. I'll post some more when momma gets a chance.
tortuga021800x600.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
owa711001.th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
The babies in these pictures are all from the same pair of wild caught Orange Wings. As you can see they like to throw clutches of three. Thanks to Josie for digging them up.
These are about 7wks (just fledged)
73900170766339619092100.jpg
[/IMG]

These next are about 11wks old
nov08007.jpg
[/IMG]

These are about 6 months and their eyes seem to be lighter
babypix001.jpg
[/IMG]

And of course a picture of their parents, Rod and Reel (late 30's)
owaba11800x600.jpg
[/IMG]

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I was going to say, just from his eyes he looks a lot older than 12 weeks.

I'd mention this to the man you're buying him from, you don't want to be paying top knock money for a bird that's been lied about since he could lie about something else...

oled

Jul 10, 2011
South Sweden
Parrots
Ville a double yellow head Amazon
Welcome to the forum. I understand you, not nice if they are lieing. But ..If you are happy about the perrots then age really dont matter. I have the most wonderful perrot and he was 9 month old when I got him and used to live in a Cage with 9 others more or less without contact to humans. Now he has bonded and starting to learn whats OK or not OK.

OP
W

westy404

May 20, 2012
UK
Parrots
here's a pic with no flash i'm know thinking his eyes look similar to the OW's in the pics posted??

AAOtto.jpg

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Yeah ,i think he's a young bird, but older than 12 wks. Like Oled said, it doesn't really matter.

OP
W

westy404

May 20, 2012
UK
Parrots
yea... it would just be nice to know but unfortunatley having no ring i'll never know for sure.

ann

Feb 18, 2011
USA
Parrots
1 nanday conure Black Jack, 1 Brotogeris parakeet Whiff, 1 ring neck dove Eliza, and 6 society finches (3 are tame). RIP my parent pairs of societies and my little gouldian finches
hes a cutie either way! henpecked i enjoyed those pictures so much, if i ever got an amazon, it would be from you :D, you look like you really connect with them!

Mozzie

Mar 20, 2012
Media
Utah
Parrots
African grey (peppers)
Blue crown conure (Mozzie)
Sun conure (sunny)
Jenday conure (Bo)
Blue fronted amazon (Casey)
I have no idea what age he looks like he is, however he sure is a beautiful Amazon!!!!

jaimmorr

Jul 21, 2011
USA
Parrots
Ricco - Goffin's Cockatoo
No matter his age, he is sooo pretty! I hope you get it all figured out, though.

Tikazoo

Nov 17, 2011
Parrots
Orange Wing Amazon
I have a pic of Tiko at that age on my home page but can't figure out how to post it here. I will keep trying for you :) in the meantime my profile pic is of that time -

Last edited:

Chaz12

Jun 5, 2012
Media
Belle MO
Parrots
Yellow Shouldered Amazon
It probably is a little older, but it looks healthy and very easy to train. I like your bird.. lol:rolleyes:

Most Reactions