PTFE's, PFOA's, Silicon, and Ceramic Cook/Bakeware

Inger

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
Thank you, Do you have a preference for the pyrex versus the unglazed stoneware for cooking or baking? I tend to bake a lot and that's why I was leaning against the pyrex (I've heard glass isn't as good for baking), but it sounds like this board has a lot of Pyrex fans, and the price is certainly reasonable

I’ve been baking with Pyrex forever and I love it. I’ve never had a single problem. The stoneware is new to me and I only have baking tray style (like cookie sheets) since it’s hard to get a decent metal cookie sheet that isn’t nonstick. And because they were gifts. I LOVE them, nothing sticks to them, and they’re very easy to clean, but I can’t reconcile myself to the price difference for anything else. My new Pyrex 9x13 was around $15, the Pampered Chef 9x13 is $42 plus shipping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VJB

May 16, 2016
This is a brilliant thread thank you so much for the information. I am a newbie Green Cheek Conure owner and I am about to order stainless steel saucepans but before I do this would you happen to know if Tefal Cookware is safe they say on the website that

"Tefal was one of the first manufacturers to eliminate PFOA from its non-stick coatings over a decade ago. Tefal non-stick coated cookware products are subject to very regular analyses carried out by independent laboratories under the strictest methodologies. These checks have systematically established the absence of PFOA in Tefal utensils"

I do have Tefal pots and pans so before I give then away I wanted to check.

Thanks so much

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Hmm....Where did you see that they removed PTFOA from their coatings? When I researched, I concluded that Tefal was not safe and I threw all of mine away. I was under the impression that it did contain Teflon/ptfe/ptfoa...They definitely have some sort of black/grey coating that scratches and flakes over time, and research aside, it looks and acts just like other Teflon products that I have owned in the past (pre-bird).

Is it possible that they are PTFOA free but still contain PTFE?

Last edited:

MikeMooch

Mar 17, 2019
Please forgive my ignorance but I can't seem to find a definitive answer. Are non stick pans automatically dangerous or only over a certain temperature?

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Green Bean -Male Eclectus adopted 8/27/17 (6 months old)
Hi MikeMooch, I think the answer to your question in theory is debatable. I have seen both opinions spelled out, and I'm sorry I can't provide specifics. However, I just don't think in practice it's safe to use non-stick coatings with birds in the home, since realistically most people at some point are going to overheat the pan. I was convinced I would never do that (but threw out my non-stick anyway when I got my guy) but I can tell you I overheated a pan 3 times in the last year! If you want suggestions on what to buy, I'm sure many people can help you. I bought a great, inexpensive saute pan (cast iron with ceramic coating) that doubles as a frying pan and dutch oven for me. I called the company and they confirmed it was bird safe (no PFOA, PTFE, teflon) at below the recommended temperature (which is much higher than I've ever used!): https://www.amazon.com/Crock-112011...iron&qid=1553024528&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Ceramic non-stick pans are not dangerous, but in-general they are the ONLY type of non-stick pots and pans that are safe for birds, because all other types of non-stick pots and pans have a non-stick coating that contains either one of the Perfluorinated-Compounds (PFOA, PTFE, etc.) or they contain Teflon, which is just a name-brand of non-stick coating that contains them. So if you want to have non-stick pots and pans, then you just need to make sure that you buy a set of Ceramic non-stick pans that state they are free of Perflourinated Compounds and Teflon (most all of them are)...

****You are absolutely playing with fire if you make the decision to cook with non-stick pans that are not Ceramic non-stick pans and that contain any of the Perflourinated-Compounds/Teflon...Yes, they have to reach a certain temperature for the non-stick coatings to "Off-Gas" into the air, but the problem is that they all seem to have a totally different temperature point where that happens, and there is absolutely no way to know what it is, and there is absolutely no way to know when it's happened...And if it's already happened, then your birds are most likely already dead or dying. If your birds breathe-in literally one little whiff of the off-gassed fumes it is pretty much 100% fatal, and there's not a thing you can do to help them after it's happened, they will die within a matter of seconds or minutes. So obviously you just cannot use them to cook with...And this includes all the small kitchen appliances too, like ALL GEORGE FOREMAN GRILLS, and then regular toasters, toaster ovens, convection ovens, air fryers, electric griddles and regular griddles you set on the stove, coffee makers, microwaves, etc. You always need to call the manufacturer and ask them before you buy any small appliances...And if you don't like to use Cast Iron, Stainless Steel, or real Copper pots and pans, then you just need to buy a set of Ceramic non-stick ones that are safe...

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Thanks for all that clarification Ellen! Can we also add irons (and/or ironing boards?) and even some lightbulbs to that list? I was on the phone with GE before I bought lightbulbs for my home. They knew which ones had a coating.

MikeMooch

Mar 17, 2019
It's our fault for not coming across this info sooner. We got married last summer & literally every pot, pan, & small appliance is brand new & of course non stick. This is going to take some serious salesmanship on my part to convince my wife to buy all new stuff. I guess it's a small price to pay. We haven't taken our little caique home yet so no birds have been harmed.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Also, I don't have a lot of info on this but I have read somewhere that people were speculating whether Green Pan (ceramic coated cookware) is actually safe to use. Maybe someone else can chime in but I decided to stay away from it for that reason

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Yeah, sorry to hear! I can tell you I only used non-stick before I got the bird. The adjustment was not too hard. The ceramic coated cast iron doesn't need to be seasoned. I also bought 1 good quality stainless steel pot for making sticky oatmeal, and it has not been a problem at all to use. To clean it, I scrub it with baking soda to get out stuck food before washing. Easy. For bakeware, you can use glass or if you are interested in enamel coated cookware, I got some very good, inexpensive ones I can send a link to. With a little oil sprayed on beforehand, it's pretty non-stick and over time becomes more so. I do have one set of good quality stainless steel baking sheets for grilling veggies, cookies, etc

MikeMooch

Mar 17, 2019
I had no idea they were so sensitive. Irons & light bulbs? I don't know if i'm ready for this. I'll be a nervous wreck 24/7.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Yes I totally get that! It's like bringing a baby home. Have to do a lot of research to prepare. BTW, aerosol sprays are an issue too - you can use them but use them in the bathroom with the door closed. And I'm sure you know perfumes, febreeze, scented candles are a no no. Basically their lungs are just different and way more sensitive than ours. Whenever I bring any new appliance -- heater, air purifier, kitchen appliance -- anything-- into the house, I call the company first. Even some rugs have a non-stick (dupont) coating. And household cleaners are another whole area. I've learned to use vinegar, baking soda, or dish soap for most things. The good news is that once you learn all of this, you will be fine. There is just a learning curve. Just keeping asking questions. Don't worry, most of us did!

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Oh and the reason irons and light bulbs can be a problem is they are sometimes non-stick coated.

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
It's our fault for not coming across this info sooner. We got married last summer & literally every pot, pan, & small appliance is brand new & of course non stick. This is going to take some serious salesmanship on my part to convince my wife to buy all new stuff. I guess it's a small price to pay. We haven't taken our little caique home yet so no birds have been harmed.

That's unfortunate, I'm sorry...But really all you should have to tell your wife is that literally any one of those new appliances can and probably will kill your new little baby Caique in a matter of minutes. That should probably do the job...

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
Right now all this is work. But once you get your little caique home, it becomes a labor of love. I've had my guy almost 2 years and I think I love him more every day.

BirbFriemd

Jun 5, 2020
California
Parrots
Kai (2002-2004) Blue budgie who lived too short a life </3
Kona (short term care until 6/2021) - GCC
I had never heard of silicone or parchment being a risk. I bake bread regularly and always use parchment (there's really no other way to get into the dutch oven safely). Should I be concerned about this if my bird is kept far from my kitchen? Will it be safe if the bird is shut in a different room while I bake? During warm weather my kitchen has great ventilation with open windows but when it's cold I just have to do my best with the vent fan....

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I am always very careful to cut the parchment so that the food covers it. So, under and a little up the edges - but so there is no exposed parchment being heated; IF IF the parchment is making any fumes it will go into the food I will eat, but Not into the air for any birdies nor anyone to breathe.

This sometimes means there is a little more cleaning to be done around the edges of the pan, but it does mean I can use parchment on the bottom-only, where it is especially helpful.

vsk101

Aug 13, 2017
San Francisco, CA
Parrots
I would recommend doing a search on this board for silicone and parchment. Please don't quote me because this is from memory, but I recall one member saying that it is not the silicone per se that is the issue when heated, but often chemicals that are mixed with some silicone products. The silicone baking sheets are an example of products that are often problematic. I don't know if others can provide more assistance on this. I try to stay away from silicone in general because I just don't know enough about it, and there are easy substitutes for it. I think it may have also said if you must use silicone to go with a name brand product to lessen the risk. With parchment paper, I believe there are two types. It took me quite a bit of reading and searching to find the right type, but I have used it without a problem even when the paper slightly burns. unfortunately I threw out the box it came in because it didn't fit in the drawer, and I don't remember which brand it was.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I have read that parchment paper and silicone are problematic (I do believe there may be more than 1 type of parchment though, so you should check into that specifically). Can't you just oil your dutch oven?

FYI- there are also heavy-duty foils that contain PTFE coatings for easier clean-up...so keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts