PTFE's, PFOA's, Silicon, and Ceramic Cook/Bakeware

ragcog

Jun 5, 2020
Rock Hill, SC
Parrots
Fancy Conure
Even though I'm a new member to the Parrot Forum, just a quick reminder while on the kitchen utensil safety: Don't Use The Self-Cleaning Oven selection on your oven (if present on your oven). Along with non-stick cookware, this too is a very dangerous process for any bird in your home.
In my recent research on bird care, this is one that comes up very often. Just a quick note to those that are unaware of this information.
I just joined and I am learning so much more from all of the great posters! Thank you to all! :whiteblue:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Even though I'm a new member to the Parrot Forum, just a quick reminder while on the kitchen utensil safety: Don't Use The Self-Cleaning Oven selection on your oven (if present on your oven). Along with non-stick cookware, this too is a very dangerous process for any bird in your home.
In my recent research on bird care, this is one that comes up very often. Just a quick note to those that are unaware of this information.
I just joined and I am learning so much more from all of the great posters! Thank you to all! :whiteblue:

Yes- you are correct (so glad you have been researching-self cleaning ovens= very bad when you use that function). Browning oils at high temperatures like butter or animal fat can also produce harmful airborne particles that can be deadly (even when cooked in safe containers). Also- remember that PTFE/PFCS/PFOA/Teflon is not just found in pots and pans, but also in other appliances and strange places--such as space heaters, blow dryers, curling irons, irons, ironing board covers, air-fryers, egg poachers, popcorn poppers, drip trays, straighteners, toasters, heat guns, industrial lights/reflectors, heat lamps etc.
The coating on new furniture (stain guard or scotch gaurd) can also off-gas and kill birds (even though it isn't heated)--new furniture and mattresses are often particularly full of VOCs .

Last edited:

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I know this an old thread but there’s so much good information here and I wanted to contribute.

We are cleaning out our cookware because we just recently found out Hexclad does contain some PTFE. An older post in this thread mentions this brand - if you’re looking for 100% bird safe, don’t get it.

After a lot of research we have placed an order from Caraway. I highly recommend this article to learn more about the best safe materials and brands: https://www.leafscore.com/eco-friendly-kitchen-products/best-non-toxic-nonstick-pans/

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
In my opinion only, there is no such thing as parrot safe coated cookware. Formulas for coatings constantly change, because one tiny alteration in the molecular structure of the coating allows the manufacturer to a) patent it and b) market under a new name or brand. The basic structure however is in one of the families mentioned above by Noodles ( PTFE/PFCS/PFOA/Teflon), and all have the capability to release toxic fumes when overheated.

I also have to mention - since 99.999% of all cookware is made in China, and one ASSUMES the company is being totally in compliance with the FDA and other regulations, the sad personal/professional experience with manufacturing in China has shown that if there is a shortcut or a cheaper alternative to something, they will take it and not say anything.

Since the sudden and untimely death of my Max 7 or so years ago, we have ditched any cookware with a coating on it, and have gone to either stainless steel or cast iron. Yes, its a bit more clean up time, and even the safest cookware will give off fumes if you allow stuff to burn in the pan/pot from olive oil, butter or cooking spray. Makes you a better chef!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We threw all our coated pots, pans, everything out. Replaced them all with stainless steel or cast iron. Baking sheets with aluminum or stainless. Hasn't really made a big difference in clean up time, unless some one get careless with the cooking time or technique and then clean ups a *****. But we can cook knowing we are not gonna kill off Salty, and thats a big thing to know.
I only use my two ceramic coated frying pans to cook eggs on low heat. The rest of my cooking is done with stainless steel or cast iron. I also use a solid ceramic crock pot for slow cooking. My liquid propane stove (very popular in rural areas) has four round burners and an oblong center burner with a flat griddle. I've

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I only use my two ceramic coated frying pans to cook eggs on low heat. The rest of my cooking is done with stainless steel or cast iron. I also use a solid ceramic crock pot for slow cooking. My liquid propane stove (very popular in rural areas) has four round burners and an oblong center burner with a flat griddle. I've
(cont'd) I've never used the center flat griddle because the griddle itself has a suspect non-stick coating and I'm not taking chances with my eight budgies in close proximity!

Freddiebird

Mar 14, 2023
Parrots
Budgerigars
(cont'd) I've never used the center flat griddle because the griddle itself has a suspect non-stick coating and I'm not taking chances with my eight budgies in close proximity!
I just got a soupmaker with a glass jug which has a non-stick coating. Is this safe to use with canaries and budgerigars in my house?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
No! With great luck, you kept your paperwork and packaging! Please return it!

Even with the ever-increasing costs of ingredients to make soup! The need to have a speciality devise to cook soup with a non-stick coating is useless as one should never be at a high enough temperature to cause sticking on a glass jug.

The large cross-section of common, standard, old-fashion cookware that are likely in your kitchen will work well and will not kill your birds!

Most Reactions

Latest posts