Right now Salty is.....

Mamaof3

Jan 25, 2016
Queens, NY
Parrots
Twix-Female Parakeet, Twizzle-male Parakeet, foster mommy to my mom's galah- Rosey
8798bd0282a754ed20c9357d192bec37.jpg
b375c15ea032f420323d5e96a7969fd2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
So when you getting your own bird, dude? Something big that can chomp rickybird? OMG, did I just say that?

Salty just ran thru his training in record time, i cant keep the pine nut bits flowing fast enough. He knows the difference between a bear,a lamb and a turtle now, and hands them to me, instead of chewing on them.
I am going to have to go back to the baby store to get some new ideas for tricks.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Good boy, Yoshi. Lol, the brite colored stuff always lures them in, then they taste the other veggies and eventually eat it all.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Early Bird Green Cheek Conure
Hatch Date 3-2016
:34:parrots exert control through cuteness. Beware. lol
My wife gives her bird chop but in installments, Carrots on day when we eat them. kale next day when have salad (yuk), and so on.
OMG I'm chatting about parrot nutrition. :45:
Not only are you talking nutrition, you just admitted that parrots are cute [emoji12] the truth comes out.

CherylCali

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Hey Wrench13, I did have that thought, like maybe a Patagonian Condor would be good with a Patagonian Conure??? They would go together well, I do think. Same cage. So they could be close. :)

Last edited:

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
So when you getting your own bird, dude? Something big that can chomp rickybird? OMG, did I just say that?

Salty just ran thru his training in record time, i cant keep the pine nut bits flowing fast enough. He knows the difference between a bear,a lamb and a turtle now, and hands them to me, instead of chewing on them.
I am going to have to go back to the baby store to get some new ideas for tricks.

Way to Go Salty :) Well Done :)

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Mr. Rival is doomed. Parrot-dom has won.

Maybe a p-p-p-parakeet.

Last edited:
OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
So a big day for Salty. I have to move his hanging boing over 2 or 3 inches, because the little sneak has figured a way to get onto the kitchen table from it. Have to really clean the cage, it's that time of the year, with the steamer and everything. Clean his boing too. And likely take him to the beach for the first time, if the sun exposure ever shows up. And tonight, I introduce a new trick, which are colored stacking cups. Gotta do something, he is getting too quick at completing his tasks in our sessions. Those I have already, and I bought these Lil plastic boxes that have a removable lid from the Dr fosters site, along with some new foot toys. His singing and talking has increased so much In the last week, with him singing almost all of Little Brown JUG,
saying peek a boo when we play that, and saying NO, oh he knows what that means. Yesterday he was all about play play play, right up to dinner time, he loves to rough house play on his back, while I tell him what a rotten parrot he is , and a raptor and OH how scared I am of him.
He is even letting Geri do it a bit now, major step forward for her. Salty loves to eat and eat and eat. He has dinner with us around 7 30, veggies or chop, has training with a dozen pine nuts, and goes back to eating right up to bed time, where he will sneak over to his pellet bowl, fill up on those, and finally get on his sleep perch around 10. Despite all his eating he still weighs between 263 and 270 grams. Hope every one in the US has a nice labor day holiday, I know I am looking forward the having 3 days with my best friend, lol, even if we play with each other the entire 3 days.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Happy Labor Day Weekend to you, too, Mr. and Mrs. Wrench, Salty and Tinker!

P.S. Salty does tricks and sings "Little Brown Jug"; Rb does none and sings "Booty". *sigh* If you ever open a boarding school for delinquent parrots, I want to know. Salty is more amazing by the day. I know we all love your videos. He'll be constructing Leggo cities next... or reciting his version of the Preamble to the Constitution... "We the parrots..."

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
What a nice weekend with Salty. lots and lots of play time and training and just fun. Right now he is chilling out in my bedroom with me and being very quiet and wanting one thing ....scratches and scratches scratches scratches. His contact callss are really fun because he uses that maniacal laugh to contact call me. I was doing some yard work today and I hear that laugh echoing throughout the house. The weather here in New York this weekend has been not so good but I will trade the weather for the same kind of weekend with Salty.

Last edited:

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Wrench, I'm good. I had my own bird just last night. It was delicious. I got it from General Tso. :)

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh man, I feel so guilty, last nite and today. I blew off Salty's training session last night, to watch a dumb movie with Geri and the boys. He was playing in his cage, and then watching us watch this total bomb of a flick, and by the time it was over , it was late and past his bed time ( mine too). This is like the second time I have missed a session, except for when I am in CHina or away for a weekend, doing a gig with the band. And I always explain to him how long I will be away and when I will return
( explain it a few times too), and he seems OK if I do that.

And this was after a great day with him, where, among other things, we were singing to each other, really singing back and forth, with Salty trying to imitate what I was singing.

I know I will get the cold shoulder when I get home tonight. May take an extra pine nut or two to win him back over, but Amazons are funny like that. He could just give up on me, I've read about that happening for less then this. Aaarrrggggh !

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Hey Al? Just curious here..Have you offered any of those pine cones Amy gave to the Saltmiester? If so, did he try/play/chew/throw them back at you? lol

Jim

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Heyyyyy, Mr. GoodWrench,
I have decided to give away that amazing clear plastic foraging toy which you and Salty gave us. Dear ol' Rb really isn't getting the good out of it. He can't figure out how to get treats out, and mostly just winds up avoiding it. I have an idea that it could be enjoyed a lot more fully by a more --- ummmm --- intellectual bird. And I bet it cost a pretty penny, so it should be used fully. Shall I give it away, or would you prefer to choose the recipient? If you don't mind I'll just advertise it: first come, first receive.
Folks, don't respond until I get the okie-dokie from Wrench. If I get it, which I think I will, please wait for a new thread in the MEMBER TOY EXCHANGE Forum...
Meanwhile, here the Rb is, getting ALL THE GOOD out of that wooden hanging thingie you gave him. He fights with it (here I believe there was a dispute over who would sit on which side of the perch) but also just sits by it at times... a very acceptable toy (maybe his favorite)... kinda his buddy.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Hatch Date 3-2016
Meanwhile, here the Rb is, getting ALL THE GOOD out of that wooden hanging thingie you gave him. He fights with it (here I believe there was a dispute over who would sit on which side of the perch) but also just sits by it at times... a very acceptable toy (maybe his favorite)... kinda his buddy.
[/QUOTE]

His picture makes me curious as to what everybirdies favorite toys are! Early Bird's looks very simialar to Rickeybird's here.

CherylCali

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
Good idea for a ...
th-th-th-th-thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????????

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Gail, it's your toy to do with it as you see fit. Use it, wait with it, give it away, sell it, use it to prop the shakey kitchen table.... it is yours.

Glad to see rb getting use out of the other one.

Jim, Salty yanked a few seeds out and played with the cone itself, but the seeds are too hard for him to Crack open. The cone is in regular toy rotation!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Glad to hear that Salty is getting some use out of it Al..Amy could care less :rolleyes: and 'lil BB runs away from it lol :eek:
Got a whole bag of 'em just collecting dust under a chair in the kitchen lol.

Jim

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Parrots are so scary smart. Tonite , Geri and I were sitting around, and we mentioned that Salty will climb down his chain and check inside this hollow coconut we have at the end of the chain for peanuts. No sooner did we finish talking about that, when Salty proceeds to come off his boing, and climb down the chain and look inside the coconut. I am pretty sure he understands a lot more then I think most people give parrots credit for, when people are talking.

A new trick I introduced only yesterday is for Salty to put nesting cups inside each other . we started yesterday with 2 , tonite it was 3 cups. He understands what I wanted perfectly, only had to show him and do it with him a few times. He is so eager to learn new stuff it really is scary.

If I could find a inexpensive parrot bike, I would get one of those, he would love it.

CherylCali

Jun 22, 2016
Victoria, Texas
Parrots
Hatch Date 3-2016
Parrots are so scary smart. Tonite , Geri and I were sitting around, and we mentioned that Salty will climb down his chain and check inside this hollow coconut we have at the end of the chain for peanuts. No sooner did we finish talking about that, when Salty proceeds to come off his boing, and climb down the chain and look inside the coconut. I am pretty sure he understands a lot more then I think most people give parrots credit for, when people are talking.

A new trick I introduced only yesterday is for Salty to put nesting cups inside each other . we started yesterday with 2 , tonite it was 3 cups. He understands what I wanted perfectly, only had to show him and do it with him a few times. He is so eager to learn new stuff it really is scary.

If I could find a inexpensive parrot bike, I would get one of those, he would love it.
That is so cool with the cocunut, they're paying attention always aren't they? I believe that they understand very much of what we say. I think it's an incredible feat that they condescend to communicate with us in our language. I was telling my husband last night that whether EB has the ability to speak to us or not, the cognitive thinking of a larger parrot is there. Every night in her bed she goes over her vocabulary. We've only had her a couple of months, but its expanding and becoming more clear. She doesn't talk to us though, it just shows that she is listening to everything. We see her demonstrate things daily that show her reasoning and calculating ability.

CherylCali

Most Reactions

Latest posts