Shower w/ Birds Do and Don'ts?

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Kiwi, the harlequin macaw
Ok so, as some of you might know, I was given a macaw as a surprise gift (Warning: NOT A GOOD IDEA) but either way, I read you can take showers with your birds. I also know birds are particularly sensitive to scented things. If I have scented shampoos should we get rid of them? Are there certain ingredients in soaps that aren't bird safe? Can I shower everyday with my bird or just 2 or 3 times a week? Note: Obviously I won't be putting soap on my bird, I was just wondering because someone told me the stuff on certain pots and pans can kill birds even if on a different floor. Anything helps!

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Showering with a bird is a great way to not only bond but also include them in your routine! So not a problem at all. Iā€™m not too sure about scented products being used around your bird because personally I just use unscented soaps (Iā€™m very boring lol) so I donā€™t have a direct answer for that. Iā€™m sure if those products or soaps are not being sprayed or sending particulates in the air, or if theyā€™re not too strong, you should be okay. Many people shower with their birds. As for how often to shower with your bird, it is up to you and the individual bird. Sometimes when my cockatoo is molting or during hormonal seasons, I give him extra bathing so a usual 2 to 3 times per week would be 4 or 5 times per week during those periods where his skin may be irritated from molting. It is not terrible to shower with your macaw everyday, you can still do that if you so wish and whatever works for you.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
I take my CAG into the shower nearly every day.
She makes a point of reminding me.
I have yet to find a dandruff shampoo that is unscented.
I try to keep a window at least partly open for fresh air.
She does not go into the shower stall only sits on shower door or window ledge.

I take my yellow nape in shower once and a while with same precautions.

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
Showering with a bird is a great way to not only bond but also include them in your routine! So not a problem at all. Iā€™m not too sure about scented products being used around your bird because personally I just use unscented soaps (Iā€™m very boring lol) so I donā€™t have a direct answer for that. Iā€™m sure if those products or soaps are not being sprayed or sending particulates in the air, or if theyā€™re not too strong, you should be okay. Many people shower with their birds. As for how often to shower with your bird, it is up to you and the individual bird. Sometimes when my cockatoo is molting or during hormonal seasons, I give him extra bathing so a usual 2 to 3 times per week would be 4 or 5 times per week during those periods where his skin may be irritated from molting. It is not terrible to shower with your macaw everyday, you can still do that if you so wish and whatever works for you.
Ok thanks!

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
I take my CAG into the shower nearly every day.
She makes a point of reminding me.
I have yet to find a dandruff shampoo that is unscented.
I try to keep a window at least partly open for fresh air.
She does not go into the shower stall only sits on shower door or window ledge.

I take my yellow nape in shower once and a while with same precautions.
Alright, I'll take the same precautions as well for now. Can't wait to bathe Kiwi!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have an amazon and an ekkie. I alternate between them who comes in the shower with me every day. They each have their own shower perch (it's a preference thing for them) and I put it on the wall opposite of the shower head. They show me whether they want a good soaking or just to hang out in the humidity. It's their choice. Most of the time, they want the soaking, so I position myself so the spray bounces off my shoulders, giving them a nice steady mist, but not the direct spray, which they're not often fans of. My ekkie does sometimes jump to my shoulders or head to get himself right under the water, as long as I've turned the pressure way down. The amazon loves to climb down the perch and hang upside down by one toe from the suction cup and spread the wings for her good soak. She doesn't like the direct spray at all, ever. In the time I've had her, I've only seen her bathe in a water dish once. Oddly, it was brought on by using the shop vac for clean up of new puppy destructive spree in the living room. :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I used to do this but stopped. Salty did not like it and he much prefers the mist type shower, from a spray bottle. Some things to be aware of

• Make sure any perch used in a shower is secure. I tried the suction cup type which did not work well in my shower enclosure. I put in a permanent one, attached with epoxy and its never coming off.
  • I would not use scented anything. If you can smell it, it is also going into your parrots respiratory system and theirs is so much more sensitive than ours.
  • Parrots cannot take the heat of a nice steamy hot shower (the kind I like to take) so any water that gets on them from the shower has to be cooler that whats splashing on you.
  • Force of the water should not be full blast right from the shower head, so holding him right under the shower head not a good idea. The idea is to simulate a tropical rain, not a monsoon!
  • Drying off is essential and absolutely no drafts or breezes. I used to towel dry Salty very gently at first and then let him dry off naturally. Some folks use a hair dryer but this must be done carefully to not cook the bird and make sure the hair dryer is a safe teflon or other material free one (your reference to cooking pans etc is because of this too). Heating elements, especially on items like hair driers that might be exposed to water or high humidity, often have an anti-corrosion coating on them, so this has to be carefully researched.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
My Amazon and Cockatiel shower with me also. Amy,like Jon's Baxter loves it...BB the teil..not so much. I have them perch on the shower curtain rod while I do my thing. With Amy he gets on his perch stick and I turn the water temp down to luke warm and the spray pressure to very light and I move him in and out of the spray. Soon he is opening his arms,waving them and tossing his head around like Linda Blair in the Exersist :oops: and hanging upside down flapping away and squaking with delight.

BB on the other hand thinks he is allergic to water but because he is so bonded to me I just hold him gently in my hands,spread his arms and rudder (tail) and he gets a good soaking.

By the time I'm ready to bathe them any scent from shampoo or soap has dissapated. I also make sure the exhaust fan is on.
In the summer Amy goes out to the deck and I use a misting bottle.
Jim

Attachments

• Amybath1.JPG
    Amybath1.JPG
    400.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Well said by master Wrench above! Yep, water temperature and pressure are a definite concern. I should add, I have some weird skin sensitivities that showed up about the same time as my go around with melanoma, and now pretty much any soaps, shampoos, or laundry detergents with dyes or scents don't go well for me. Pain in the butt sometimes, but removes the issue with stuff that's in the shower with me with the birds.

OP
K

KiwiParrot

Jan 27, 2022
With Kiwi
Parrots
I used to do this but stopped. Salty did not like it and he much prefers the mist type shower, from a spray bottle. Some things to be aware of

• Make sure any perch used in a shower is secure. I tried the suction cup type which did not work well in my shower enclosure. I put in a permanent one, attached with epoxy and its never coming off.
  • I would not use scented anything. If you can smell it, it is also going into your parrots respiratory system and theirs is so much more sensitive than ours.
  • Parrots cannot take the heat of a nice steamy hot shower (the kind I like to take) so any water that gets on them from the shower has to be cooler that whats splashing on you.
  • Force of the water should not be full blast right from the shower head, so holding him right under the shower head not a good idea. The idea is to simulate a tropical rain, not a monsoon!
  • Drying off is essential and absolutely no drafts or breezes. I used to towel dry Salty very gently at first and then let him dry off naturally. Some folks use a hair dryer but this must be done carefully to not cook the bird and make sure the hair dryer is a safe teflon or other material free one (your reference to cooking pans etc is because of this too). Heating elements, especially on items like hair driers that might be exposed to water or high humidity, often have an anti-corrosion coating on them, so this has to be carefully researched.
Ok thanks for this. I ordered a shower perch and I'll get rid of our scented shampoos. We don't have anything strong because those scents bother me to. I prefer lukewarm showers so that shouldn't be a problem. I won't put her directly under the shower and I'll make sure to dry her off to. Thanks again!

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I shower with both my girls and have a shower perch that hangs on the shower frame. I had the one with suction cups but it gave out a couple of times on me when the girls were on it.

My only problem with showering is that I am an evening shower person, not an early morning one, so often times when I shower the girls are asleep. I try to include them in an earlier shower though.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I usually bring birds in and rinse then put them on towel over shower sliding door. Or do full shower then bring them down to rinse. Bringing them down in the first minute I found best then they can steam while I use actual soaps and shampoos and stuff. But not to warm. They like lukewarm at best.

Most Reactions