Taking Sun Conure Out of Cage

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Hi! So I adopted my 2 year old sun conure a little over a week ago. She has quickly warmed up to me and loves getting cuddled and talked to. She seems so much happier. I had an appt with the vet yesterday and he said she is as healthy as can be! However I'm having a problem. I've been teaching her to step up using millet seed (she LOVES it). Of course I only give it to her when I'm training her. She is fed an all pellet diet with fresh fruits and veggies. Anyways, when I get her to step up, she takes the treat and I put her back in the cage because I want to go slow with her. Today, I fed her millet and decided to take her around the house. Then I ended up cuddling with her on the couch. She preened my face and hair (lol) and then I gave her a bath and put her back in the cage. My question is, is it okay for me to take her out to hang out with her. She didn't seem nervous or scared when she was out. But when she saw her cage again, she was eager to fly back in and wouldn't step up unless I had a treat. Do I continue taking her out and spending one on one time? Or should I stop luring her out with treats and wait until she comes out of the cage by herself?

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
You are on the right track :) keep taking her out for special time but don't be offended when she is also eager for the comfort and familiarity of her cage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyA93

Jan 22, 2012
Las Cruces, NM
Parrots
Pineapple Turquoise Greencheek Conure-Ivy❤️, Male Cockatiel-Lusa (aka Bub =D)
Yes! Keep taking her out and spending time! It's totally normal for them to want to go back to their cage, and trust me, once she is comfortable and wants to be with you the whole time you'll wish she wanted to go back on her own sometimes lol! Especially if she isn't nervous and enjoys it then I say take advantage! Love her and snuggle her and build your bond, it's not such an easy trek for others with adopted birds. You're a lucky one:) You're doing great so far:)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I agree with the above, spend more time outside the cage and you won't need treats...from your story it's been two separate days or two separate occurrences... It's literally weeks of progress in two days. Your bird is fine, you're doing awesome...Just live and enjoy it. You and your conure will figure it out together faster than you can even keep posting on here.....But not for nothing keep posting!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
keep bribing the step-up with treats, you want to get it to a point where they step up every single time. Lots of out the cage time, ideally if you're home and it's safe (not cooking) then they're out the cage. She will want to spend time in her cage naturally, I like to just leave the door open letting them come and go as they please. Think how a human child is, some days they want to be in their room playing on their own, other days they've taken over the house running around throwing toys everywhere

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
so figured it out yet? it's been another day.... at your rate you should have it in hand by now.

OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Hi! Yes I did! It seems like the more days pass by, the less she wants to be in her cage (lol).

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Some parrots love the seclusion of their cage, some , once they get over their fear of you and the outside, hardly ever go back in. Salty is like that - once he is let out, around noon, he only goes back to his cage for water and perhaps a few pellets. He is not flighted, but we have plastic chains hanging from the ceiling , from his cage to his boing and toy chain, so he can go where ever he wants.

OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Haha she is definitely not potty trained XD I do have a question tho..Merri is fully flighted but has gotten her feathers trimmed a few times before. Do you recommend I take her to trim her flight feathers again or should I just let them grow out completely?

FlyBirdiesFly

Jul 30, 2017
Media
I recommend not clipping. Flight is important for a bird's exercise, and birds really enjoy flying around the house. They are BIRDS, they were designed to fly. Just be sure never to leave doors open, and have screens on your windows.

Notdumasilook

Jul 28, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Parrots
Blue Fronted Amazon, Cookie..Sun Conure..lil Booger (RIP) Have owned Parakeets, lovebirds, cockatiels, cockatoos, pocket parrot, and quakers.
Im with Mr Fly... let the lil birdies wings alone. They are extremely skilled flyers indoors. Its great exercise for them. Just take the appropriate safety measures. My lil Booger was flighted until he was crippled by a vet tech...(grrrrrrrr) pity ya cant sue em!!.. Regardless.. he loved flying and now has to rely on us to get him to and from his cage. He potty trained himself and will only go either in his cage or off the side of his cage door. My BFA Cookie is also flighted but its very rare he flies.. he bums a lift by raising his foot and saying "wanna come see daddy"

OP
M

Mm6393

Jun 25, 2017
Ann Arbor, MI
Parrots
Sun Conure
GCC
4 beautiful budgies
Haha yea. My GCC loves flying around the house but it seems that Merri, my sun conure, doesn't seem to like it. She relies on me for transportation even though she fully flighted lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts