Feb 20, 2022
At this very moment :) Sleepy bird
Screenshot_20220330-085425.png

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm very impressed with Cotton and you! Its a lot to celebrate!

He is enjoying that cork! Been awhile since my babies have had cork, do you've inspired me to pick some up. Did you find at pet store or order it?

Try stuffing some veggies through cage bars. Often they will at least be offended and rip it up.

News paper, butcher paper, wax paper in that bottom trey makes for easy cleaning up.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I'm very impressed with Cotton and you! Its a lot to celebrate!

He is enjoying that cork! Been awhile since my babies have had cork, do you've inspired me to pick some up. Did you find at pet store or order it?

Try stuffing some veggies through cage bars. Often they will at least be offended and rip it up.

News paper, butcher paper, wax paper in that bottom trey makes for easy cleaning up.
Thank you!

I wanted to make sure I knew what his normal poops looked like before putting newspaper down but I have a little stash from junk mail started.

I was recommended the cork toy by the most wonderful parrot store employee in Seattle when I was visiting at the beginning of the month! It alternates cork and balsa. I know my local store has balsa kabobs but I don't remember seeing cork; I'll have to ask!

I get a little alert when my front door opens so today after my dog walker arrived, I waited until he and Maynard went out then checked on Cotton Cam - he was chirping and beeping away :) My dog walker said he was silent and sitting very still when he said hello and goodbye :)

His sounds are SO CUTE

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Not impressed with new cage decor of broccoli carrot and pepper

Refused to go on his favorite perch and made a big point of going to the very top of the opposite side of his boing and staring pointedly at his perch

And more pointedly at me

PXL_20220330_233848653.jpg

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
I'm all caught up on the overnight (for my time zone!) adventures of Cotton now - I'm so happy for him and for you! What a wonderful life you already have together :)

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Protip.... Eat carrot or pepper or whatever. tell Parrot they cannot has.....lax in security and let parrot try it. Admonish bird for being so "bad" let bird steal more......Profit.

It does actually work.....

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
No he doesn't look amused!
Maybe start off with just one, lol.....
Sometimes it works, I swear!

Well he's more sensitive to invading veggies....darn...keep trying tho....everything.

Guess you are going to have to est a lot infront of him, show him videos of other parrots eating them...

You've got good instincts and background, good observation skills. So it will. Be fun to see what you come up with and whst works for him.

My Penny it was a struggle to build her confidence and life skills. For a long time she camped at her food bowl abd had high anxiety if I didn't keep it full to the top..ok I'm straying, Cotton just reminds me of our struggles .

Have you tried peas? At least for her that was an instant hit

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
I'm dead srs....eat food right in front and tell bird it cannot has then get distracted by whatever,,,,,, The birds know if you like it.....it must be good....

TRUST ME!

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Nico and my conure both were on seed mix diets for years. I have to take responsibility for my conure as that was my own fault. It took months to get her to transition to a pellet. Don't get discouraged if Cotton is the same way at first (if you choose to change his diet). I just bought the bird tricks natural feeding system yesterday. There are so many fresh recipes included in there. I am going to give this a try to see if I can be more successful at getting either of my birds more into fruits, and veggies. If it works I'll let you know.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
The birds know if you like it.....it must be good....
I think he's aware I like the food....and he thinks I'm nuts πŸ˜†

invading veggies
πŸ€£πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

I haven't tried peas yet!

There are so many fresh recipes included in there. I am going to give this a try to see if I can be more successful at getting either of my birds more into fruits and veggies
I think my son and his gf are thinking about doing this too! I'm interested to see how it goes for you!

I've been measuring the amounts of pellet vs seed and then sorting and he's definitely eating all the seeds and leaving the rest so far. I bet the whole time he was at the rescue he was just going for the seeds ;)

He's just a suspicious little man with his perfect black mustache and perfect little scowl 🧐 πŸ˜„

I was thinking yesterday it's a good thing I put thicker curtains in my front window because the amount of "yummy"s and head bobbing that goes on here at every meal would look mighty strange from the outside πŸ˜†Everything I've offered him, I taste also, and he usually watches like "yeah, go for it, veggie lady, I thought you were yummy walnut lady".

He had to figure out somehow that he likes walnuts and almonds so I'll win him over eventually.

This weekend I might try a tiny batch of birdie bread. Maybe shaped like a walnut πŸ€”πŸ˜†

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I keep looking at that last picture and I'm pretty sure Cotton is saying "HELLO why would you feed me something that looks like FINGERS"
Omg!!!! I had to look at thst picture several times! Because I was thinking the exact same thing@ you are killing me I dieing of laughter over here!! I'm choking and snorting

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
After I'd taken that photo he moved his feet up to the very top of his boing and was just standing there sideways glaring at me. Not "I'm going as far away as I can from that hideous thing" but "in case you didn't get the message that's my favorite perch you just spoiled, I'm going to give you a hint. Pay close attention to me standing on my second favorite perch. Ok? Ok nope not getting it. This perch. This one right here. Upon which I am standing. HERE"

Point taken, good sir !

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton readily ate his seeds mixed/covered in a warm ground pellet mash tonight πŸŽ‰

He's so dang cute drinking water. All birds are, I think.

This is from across the room so it's shaky and not focused well, but his beak grinding is too adorable

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Cotton readily ate his seeds mixed/covered in a warm ground pellet mash tonight πŸŽ‰

He's so dang cute drinking water. All birds are, I think.

This is from across the room so it's shaky and not focused well, but his beak grinding is too adorable

Oh that beak grinding warms my heart, he's such a happy birdie!

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Feb 20, 2022
I've had my camera up on my phone for the past little while and Cotton is so noisy today; I love it! I look forward to coming back to these first few pages in a year when I'm posting about how I'm attempting to minimize the noise 😁

He's been screeching when he pulls the little paper threads out of the preening toy. And he's currently talking to himself while doing laps from preening toy to boing which are on opposite sides. It's sunnier and a little warmer in the house today and he's a busy guy! I'm guessing he will have found all the teeny walnut nibs I hid this morning.

Most Reactions

Latest posts