The Continuing Capers of Companion-ing Cotton

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
You haven't done anything wrong.
Looks like he is snipping them off at the skin rather than pulling them out, I don't see any shafts. Or he us eating those.
When Penny pulls her out , it's the complete feather with shafts, and after Feather ( newly learned term ;) )
Feather anatomy

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Ok, you are too good to me! My son's gf pointed that out too and I JUST texted her I need to better learn anatomy! This is awesome; thank you!

Cotton has definitely been crunching enough it wouldn't surprise me they were snipped. Would that mean the shafts won't come out until he next molts?

Reading your link now

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't know what it means, the snippet instead of pull. Or how that effects everything? Im sure there is some kind of bio feedback ...as damaged feathers get replaced often quicker. We will have to await your observations

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton is kind of an n=1 guy :)

I can't wait to check out his food bowl in the morning. He went back a total of four times after he initially ate dinner. Maybe he was just pickier and it took him longer to eat his fill. I heard a lot of moving things around the bowl itself, beak against steel. We'll see :)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I don't know it seems this better feather article isn't linking so trying again

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Ok last one

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Ok last one
Oh wow. That's fascinating! Makes me want to look into this in other species

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Every time I've checked in on Cotton this morning he's preening, ha. Big loooooonnnngggg passes. But also took a little break to beat/flap his wings a few times.

He's still very terrified of hands and bare arms, but I've noticed that he's not fearful at all of new perches or toys. Once I'm out of the cage, he beelines straight for the new thing to investigate. I added more to the front of the cage yesterday when I got home, since he's been using only the cage bars to get across the front half, and he went straight for figuring out how to test a cotton rope swing.

When I cleaned his cage yesterday evening, I saw that he'd been playing/chewing literally every single toy - a balsa plank, the crinkle paper preening ball, his beloved cork and balsa kabob, a couple cardboard shredders, and even a preening toy from the rescue. It was a chewy sort of day!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
Awesome to hear how busy he is. Time spent chewing toys is time NOT chewing feathers. Feathers or not, I think he's going to be just fine. He's so happy with you there! 🤩

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you! I feel like it's going to be a very long while before he trusts my appendages or even my presence close to him, but it's so incredibly fun to see his personality start to blossom!

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I have no experience with them, but I hear it's not uncommon for ringnecks to be fearful of hands. There's always work around. I've been visiting the refuge nearest us and hanging out with some of the conures there. Most of them are fine with clothing/long sleeves, but fingers or any bare skin is considered evil by a bunch of them. Still very sweet birds, just don't like those fingers.

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
it's not uncommon for ringnecks to be fearful of hands

I've had a few people that have studied the wild habits of African and Indian ringnecks tell me that those areas have the highest number of natural predators per square mile, so they have a much higher fear response to anything moving that isn't a flockmate.

I had my windows open this weekend and Cotton had his eye on a stray fly across the room. Not to mention the dog eating stray discard pellets ;)

I've no idea how that tracks compared to other species, but it sounds plausible to me as to why the ringnecks tend to "untame" more easily.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
For my future reference since I'm at work and can't bookmark it :)

Feather/Skin Disorders (from Merck)
" heavy metal poisoning (notably zinc). " from above link..This is more common than people are aware of. Have info on in ornithology thread. Even mouthing jewelry, other metals, questionable toys , the zinc starts building up, its chronic and itchy is also a symptom of. Vs the more acute when they swallow metal bits especially ones with lead.

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I've had a few people that have studied the wild habits of African and Indian ringnecks tell me that those areas have the highest number of natural predators per square mile, so they have a much higher fear response to anything moving that isn't a flockmate.

I had my windows open this weekend and Cotton had his eye on a stray fly across the room. Not to mention the dog eating stray discard pellets ;)

I've no idea how that tracks compared to other species, but it sounds plausible to me as to why the ringnecks tend to "untame" more easily.
That does make sense, but certainly don't give up hope. I've met a few ringnecks that were quite hand tame and even downright snuggly :)

OP
Cottonoid

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Cotton removed at least one tail feather (I haven't cleaned the bottom tray yet since I usually do around 630pm), and he didn't bleed to death as I feared.

He's been very active with all his toys again - lots of new paper shreds, and 3 completely destroyed birdie bagels.

He's left his new chest feathers alone which is mildly interesting - since I've known him, those were the target of all plucking. His wings are rapidly disappearing.

I saw on the pet cam he was beating his wings again today in a couple different spots in his cage, and he has been fluffy and watching me/actively listening since he ate dinner.

At one point he started to stretch and looked like he almost fell backward off his perch 😱 but caught it with his beak (his feet were still around it). I'm sure his balance is a little off kilter, poor guy!

I was going to use this afternoon for opening his cage door and just relaxing but I'll have to see what he thinks.

MY new theory is that he's a reclusive celebrity and he's letting me know very plainly that not only does he not like paparazzi (as I've known) but my goodness Parrot of the Month?!? How dare I ! 😄😄😄

....bald parrot legs with little fluffy downy bits are wicked cute, in case any of you are wondering!

Most Reactions