unburiedpup

Jan 24, 2023
Parrots
Aristotle
63957572-1111-4AFF-8B8C-ABC5F1C98BBC.jpeg
I cleaned and organized Aristotleā€™s cage today since I had no school, but I was wondering; what kinda of toys should I get for him? After all, his cage is mainly perches. (Also, I am going to buy him a bigger cage, but for now he is still using the cage that his previous owner gave to me.) Please help. TT

7F3EBD8C-DD0A-4861-8ABC-EAEDE3280947.jpeg

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
When I go toy shopping, I bring Salty with me (in harness), and let him pick out the toys. At this point I kinda know the types he prefers, so its not really necessary, but it is fun. I suggest that you try a few different types and let Aristotle choose. The ones in tatters on the floor of the cage are the ones to buy, LOL.

Small parrots usually like small scale toys - a toy for a macaw or Amazon, Grey or cockatoo would likely be untouched by a Green Cheek Conure. Small scale toys are not easy to find, most are for budgies, which I think are too flimsy for a conure.

Be aware of toys that have small bells on them, the clappers are easily removed by parrots who are determined. I remove them. Also be aware of toys that include rubber (like those miniature sneakers) or other easily destroyed plastics, there is a chance they will ingest fragments of them. I try to stick with toys made from natural materials when possible. Fortunately, Salty agrees with that!

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My conures love cupcake holders and anything they can destroy. They also love cardboard, and thin piece of untreated pine or balsa.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
My OWA actually likes cockatiel sized toys (heā€™d go into our tielā€™s cage to play with them) so I still buy a few for his playstand, and I find Amazon has a great selection of toys by Planet Pleasures. They are all chewing/shredding toys that are usually braided & hand made. The Pinapple Forager and Octo pinata in the small sizes would probably be just the right size for a green cheek, and not dominate your cage space.

I also like to buy the Planet Pleasures shredder rope to wrap around playstands or thread through cage bars.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Ona loves sola balls! I highly recommend a boing like this to hang in the middle of the cage:

7438C3AD-86E4-4C9A-837A-483D54FD67B5.png

The foraging platforms by Hoot and Hollar bird toys are great too.

I get a lot of things from Bonka Birds online. Lots of great options for conures there.

Most Reactions