Top 10 most quintessential parrots

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Although Julio fully approve of your choice. I must say that I was very surprised by your choice to represent family Amazona. May you survive the completion of the work! :D

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer Ć¢ā‚¬Å“ScreeĆ¢ā‚¬ļæ½ - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
The sun conure is stunning! We await the next in the series :)

Pampa

May 24, 2018
Northern Ca
Parrots
Jazzy Pizazzy, Jenday Conure ~
Corbin, Nanday Conure (little Crow) ~
Lucky & Mojo, the Budgies ~
Pampa Blue Crown Conure lost 6/18/2019 ā˜¹ļø
Great list but Iā€™d like to see a sun conure on the lust. Theyā€™re popular and striking.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
I like your atyle. Its very like the linotype used on US money to draw the head of famous presidents. Look closely at the oneof Jefferson or lincoln - they are all done with fine lines. Wonderful work - keep it up.

Ellie777Australia

Apr 12, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
SI Eclectus Female, Ellie; RS/SI Eclectus Male, Bertie (both adopted as rescue/re-home)
I have been pretty swamped with so much stuff going on. I actually forgot to post my last drawing I finished last week of a sun conure!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B0Ty99FA4i_/?igshid=wp5i0zruvv4x

Iā€™m currently working on my next bird, but it may be a few days before itā€™s finished. It was a tough decision to make, as Kiwi is a BFA, but my amazon is going to be a DYH, which I think is the most well known of all the amazons.
Gorgeous Kiwibird...:35:

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Although Julio fully approve of your choice. I must say that I was very surprised by your choice to represent family Amazona. May you survive the completion of the work! :D

DYHs, I think, are probably the most recognizable Amazonā€™s. Also, donā€™t forget, my ā€œfirst bird loveā€ and the bird who made me so fond of amazons in the first place as a species was a DYH. In fact, I was originally looking for a DYH when I instead found a certain BFA I decided needed to come home with me;)

Iā€™m sure Mr. Kiwi will forgive me, so long as he gets to hang out on his special swing in the office while I draw:green:

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
I like your atyle. Its very like the linotype used on US money to draw the head of famous presidents. Look closely at the oneof Jefferson or lincoln - they are all done with fine lines. Wonderful work - keep it up.

I see what you mean. It is similar. And thank you. Iā€™m glad people are liking the art:D

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Great list but Iā€™d like to see a sun conure on the lust. Theyā€™re popular and striking.

Lusting after a Sun Conure is a deadly Sin :p :p :p

Tami2

Aug 18, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Levi - 6 yr old CAG

DOH-4/2/2016
Thanks all. Hereā€™s kind of what Iā€™m thinking:

1. Budgie, yellow/green
2. Pair of lovebirds, peachface (these seem the most common)
3. Grey cockatiel
4. Green cheek conure
5. Pair macaws, blue and gold and green wing
6. Amazon, double yellow head
7. CAG
8. Pair, male and female eclectus
9. Cockatoo, surfer crested
10. Still up in the air between an IRN and an alexandrine. IRNs are more popular/well known in the US (I think blue is the most common color?) but Iā€™m not sure if that applies worldwide where I think alexandrines are more popular.

These are going to be more ā€œbustsā€ of the birds. Iā€™m doing these in my pattern art like these 2 of a shoebill stork and major Mitchell cockatoo (sorry my stupid website wonā€™t let me link my own images so I donā€™t know how else to share besides linking to IG. These are MY original drawings though):
https://www.instagram.com/p/BuRKTRonlXS/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bul1D0rH8C_/?utm_source=ig_web_options_share_sheet

Beautiful work April, I just followed you on Instagram. :smile049:

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
My favorite drawing so far- a gorgeous double yellow headed amazon with magna colorations- https://www.instagram.com/p/B0332yZgkAP/?igshid=1imfuz5s4ivtq

Wonderful! I likeit all, but especially the dog one you have on IG.

You could make bank on selling your art, and even on selling a paint by numbers kit of them, if you wished. Or coloring book. So many adults are into coloring with crayons, now; weird but true.

God I think all parrots are beautiful it's hard to pick. I don't know if all of these fall ino the "quintessential" category, but I'd say, hyacinth mccaw for sure would look beautiful; black and gold cockatoo; hawkhead; kakapo; any kind of pionus; splendid and of course bourke's grass parrots. And I wish Orange Julius here was a parrot cause I just found out about him now and he is magnificent :
DSCN2240c.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
My favorite drawing so far- a gorgeous double yellow headed amazon with magna colorations- https://www.instagram.com/p/B0332yZgkAP/?igshid=1imfuz5s4ivtq

Wonderful! I likeit all, but especially the dog one you have on IG.

You could make bank on selling your art, and even on selling a paint by numbers kit of them, if you wished. Or coloring book. So many adults are into coloring with crayons, now; weird but true.

God I think all parrots are beautiful it's hard to pick. I don't know if all of these fall ino the "quintessential" category, but I'd say, hyacinth mccaw for sure would look beautiful; black and gold cockatoo; hawkhead; kakapo; any kind of pionus; splendid and of course bourke's grass parrots. And I wish Orange Julius here was a parrot cause I just found out about him now and he is magnificent :
DSCN2240c.jpg

The dog one was for one of our members on here. A definite challenge since Iā€™ve done very little as an artist with drawing dogs. My focus has always been on birds and to a lesser extent, reptiles.

I have been building a portfolio and following online and keeping that as my main focus. I do sell commissions but Iā€™m not well know enough yet for it to be a steady stream of work. Iā€™m still figuring out how to sell my other art. Coloring book pages have definitely been something Iā€™ve been considering doing and selling as digital downloads.

After this series, I am looking at doing a rare parrots series in traditional mediums like color pencil, gel pens or marker. I also might just pull out my UV floodlights and do mixed media/UV reactive rare parrots (anybody else love that idea?) and sell as original art. This isnā€™t a parrot but it illustrates how cool the rare parrots could come out ( I switch to blacklight towards the end of the video clip) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bubbx4dn2WH/?igshid=15cz2eufrp6f6

Last edited:
OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So, I wanted to update this thread and say I havenā€™t completely abandoned this concept but I have redirected my efforts in a new direction. I have been, rather unsuccessfully, trying to figure out my place in the world of art for a while now. Selling larger sized prints of complex and time consuming art pieces, printed and shipped through a professional printer really doesnā€™t seem to be my niche. Recently, I have invested in some new equipment to be able to make small items like bookmarks, stickers and notecards myself without relying on outside printers. I wonā€™t be doing anything to speak of until maybe February/March 2020 due to my baby being due end of December/early January, but I am working on some new drawings so I have some things ready to go when Iā€™m ready to pick back up again (who am I kidding, I am basically drawing literally every free second right now because I canā€™t take the anticipation of when will the baby come and have so much happy anxious energy and a healthy dose of end of pregnancy insomnia lol :p).

While beautiful, my original drawings in this series unfortunately donā€™t translate well into smaller sizes, so Iā€™ve been reworking my idea into a slightly different look that looks better in smaller formats. I have completed several new parrot drawings in the new look but am saving the rest to post for after my baby comes and Iā€™m ready to start revamping my Etsy shop ;) BUT after that extremely long winded update, I have shared one new drawing, another Budgie (a blue one this time!). As always, I love feedback and never mind constructive criticism!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5a0MQbgx2Z/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully understand the issue regarding downsizing the Work you have completed.

Your Double Yellow-Headed Amazon would begin to lose definition (lines merging) any smaller than what we have.

I like the new Work for small application as the Work appears too withstand smaller applications without loose of definition as seen with the larger more complex Work.

And, that is about as technical as a non-artist like myself can provide.

OP
Kiwibird

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
So, I have now completed (though not yet posted) 13 parrots in this new series. I am aiming for 20-25 now. I currently have a green and blue budgies, a grey and white cockatiel (though not overly obvious difference in my style and color palette), a peach faced lovebird, a green cheek and sun conure, an African grey, a double yellow headed amazon, a male and female eclectus, a yellow crested cockatoo (could represent several species, I used a citron crested as reference though) and a blue and gold macaw. I plan to do a second lovebird drawing with 2 lovebirds in a heart, a BFA and YNA, a galah and white cockatoo (undecided on species), a red macaw (again undecided between scarlet or green wing). Trying to decide what else to include. These newer drawings take less time than the previous larger scale ultra detailed ones and pregnancy insomnia/energy surge has me producing them at super speed (plus being soooooooo bored), so Iā€™m taking advantage in order to have a nice backlog to post after Iā€™ve recovered and settle into a new routine after baby so I can ease back into art. Whoā€™s got suggestions on further parrots? Definitely thinking I will do a hawk head and major Mitchellā€™s despite being rare, because they are beautiful and unique. May do a hy, ring neck or alexandrine as well due to being popular amongst bird lovers.

Most Reactions