New GreenCheek Mommie

K4rest

Jun 30, 2013
Parrots
Loki - Yellowside Green Cheek
Hi,
Today is day 2 of being a new green cheek mommie. We just brought home our beautiful baby boy on Friday afternoon.

Loki is making a good transition from his cage at the nursery where he was born to his new home with us.

He was hatched in January of this year and the breeder has all her birds DNA sexed so we are positive he is a male.

This is my first parrot since having budgies when i was a child (i will be celebrating my 39th birthday this summer) and have been researching green cheeks for several months now before settling in and making the commitment.

I've gotten lots of tips and info from this forum and want to give a big thank you to the other member's and all the moderators and admins. I'm sorry i don't remember exactly who i've learned from, but everyone on here has had such wonderful stories and tips and i wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for sharing their experiences.

Loki is currently molting, so we suspect this is adding to his natural "nippy" behavior. He is beginning "step up" and some basic target training and i feel that he is doing very well with both.

We are making sure that we are not "reacting" when he nips/bites and reinforcing good behavior with praise, clicks and seed. We started off using millet as a reward.

Any tips on basic training would be appreciated. I'd also like to know what different "rewards" others have found successful to use when training. Loki likes the millet, but it can be a bit messy and when all the seeds fall off the branch, Loki goes for the fingers holding it. :)

I attached a picture of our new baby.

Attachments

• Loki - 6-29-2013.jpg
    Loki - 6-29-2013.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 194

aliray

Jan 28, 2012
Rotonda West , Fla
Parrots
yellow sided green cheek conure,Chiquita Quaker parrot Sweetie Pie, African red bellied parrot Tiki, spanish timbrado canary Lucas
Congrats on your new baby. I love the colors on the yellow sided gcc. Pretty baby and I love the name:)

SoCalWendy

Jun 29, 2013
Kihei, Hawaii
Parrots
None at the moment
Hi,
Today is day 2 of being a new green cheek mommie. We just brought home our beautiful baby boy on Friday afternoon.

Loki is making a good transition from his cage at the nursery where he was born to his new home with us.

He was hatched in January of this year and the breeder has all her birds DNA sexed so we are positive he is a male.

This is my first parrot since having budgies when i was a child (i will be celebrating my 39th birthday this summer) and have been researching green cheeks for several months now before settling in and making the commitment.

I've gotten lots of tips and info from this forum and want to give a big thank you to the other member's and all the moderators and admins. I'm sorry i don't remember exactly who i've learned from, but everyone on here has had such wonderful stories and tips and i wanted to take a moment to thank everyone for sharing their experiences.

Loki is currently molting, so we suspect this is adding to his natural "nippy" behavior. He is beginning "step up" and some basic target training and i feel that he is doing very well with both.

We are making sure that we are not "reacting" when he nips/bites and reinforcing good behavior with praise, clicks and seed. We started off using millet as a reward.

Any tips on basic training would be appreciated. I'd also like to know what different "rewards" others have found successful to use when training. Loki likes the millet, but it can be a bit messy and when all the seeds fall off the branch, Loki goes for the fingers holding it. :)

I attached a picture of our new baby.

You can use other seeds such as safflower, pine nuts, etc. try and choose some that he absolutely loves. If you have a seed mix, what I did was I separated each of the ingredients and offered each one by one, mine loves safflower seeds. So I only give them when we are training or bonding.

Most Reactions

Latest posts