Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
Valentino - 10 yr. old Harlequin Macaw (02/14/2006)
:blue1:

I just got my bird last night :) a 10 year old Harlequin Macaw named Valentino. Super sweetie but I'm a nervous wreck! I've had parrots growing up, Double Yellow Head, African Grey, a Yellow Nape and a Parakeet, but never a parrot of Valentino's size. A friend of mine was going to surrender him to a local animal shelter! Not sure what I'm looking for here, but I want to make sure either myself, or someone can give Valentino a good home. Before my friend got him, he was with the same man and his girlfriend since he was born so I have a lot of concerns about how the separation and the bouncing around may effect him.

He ate last night, drank, slept all night and seems quiet and happy today. Doesn't seem ready to be handled or anything so I've just been letting him hang out, check out his surroundings, and talking to him.

OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
Not yet, I'm going to try and post some this afternoon if I can get my phone to cooperate :) Thank you!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
So do you recommend just waiting for him (I say this because they assume he/she is a he, he has not be DNA sexed) to come out of his cage on his own? Currently he has no interest in coming out, even if you leave the door open. I just assumed he's nervous because he seems to be shaking and I don't want to reach for him if he's that upset...

I have an appointment for him with an avian veterinarian next Tuesday, it was the soonest they could get him in, just to have him checked out and hopefully get some professional help. Big parrots don't seem to be a common occurrence in my area...

Mariar

May 9, 2014
Clearwater Florida but grew up in Wisconsin
Parrots
Doolie,Yellow nape amazon(r.i.p.03/10/15)
Sissy,severe macaw(rescued on 03-16-15) chirpy,sparrow(beak less) jack,Jill,chase,fiona,finch, and tiger,sulfer crested(rescued 04/15/20
Relax..he will come to you when ready...sit next to the cage,talk to him,try to offer him an apple, do you know the history behind him..like what his habits are what fruits or veggies or nuts he likes,how bout what kind of food he was fed, favourite toy maybe? Was he handled a lot? We are here to help!! No question or concern to small :) or big.

OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
My friend only had him for a couple of weeks, they were intimidated by him and had never had parrots before. He was previously owned by a guy and his girlfriend who had him since he was born, he turned 10 on Valentine's Day. They said he liked pistachios and I know at one point when they first got him they gave him peanuts which I threw away lol.

Other than that, the guy they got him from changed his phone number and moved to Florida so... They said the guy was certain he was a harlequin, not a catalina, he's not banded.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Go to the tips for a first time macaw owner thread, open that one, and about four posts down there is another series of "how to" training threads.

Read up.

And sitting next to the cage, talking to him, offering treats pistacios, walnuts and cashews tend to be favorite nuts, and just ignoring him, and letting him decide to come to you...

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
Go to the tips for a first time macaw owner thread, open that one, and about four posts down there is another series of "how to" training threads.

Read up.

And sitting next to the cage, talking to him, offering treats pistacios, walnuts and cashews tend to be favorite nuts, and just ignoring him, and letting him decide to come to you...

Worked like a charm for me and I caught up on all the books I wanted to read lol

BrookeB

May 22, 2012
California
Parrots
8 cockatiels
1 sun conure
Welcome lucky guy... A macaw for free? That's luck and fate... I kinda wish I was you lol.. Lots of knowledge here so I'm sure you'll find what your looking for

OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
valentino-albums-valentino-picture16155-a.jpg

valentino-albums-valentino-picture16156-a.jpg

valentino-albums-valentino-picture16157-a.jpg

valentino-albums-valentino-picture16154-a.jpg

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
May I make a suggestion?
That cage is not suitable. Birds like corners. And walls. Round cages make them feel vulnerable CONSTANTLY. Large macaw cages are expensive but you will need one. And toys.
Check craigslist for a cage. Clean and sanitize it. :)

OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
Yeah, that's the cage he/she came with I've looked at some different ones but obviously I've only had him a couple of days so that's not going to happen over night lol.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
That cage is horrendous, I wouldnt even think of putting that poor bird back in to it.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi there, and welcome to the forums. :) Many congrats on your new family member. VERY pretty boy!!

I keep both my big macs in cages that are 4' wide and 3' deep. Additionally they have a gigantic play area away from their cages.

This is what round cages are good for. ;)
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZeiH2ODuz8"]How to fix a round cage directors cut - YouTube[/ame]

OP
V

Valentino

Feb 23, 2016
Missouri
Parrots
What's the height on yours Wendy? Picture maybe :)

He doesn't seem particularly stressed out by the cage, he sits in the same spot in the cage but it's so narrow I feel bad for him. When he comes out the first thing he does is stretch as far as he can in all directions. He was out all evening and last night and then this morning before I left for work and I've let him out at lunch yesterday and will do the same today.

He'll get something different that's for sure. What do you all put under the cage? Anyone ever seen a large piece of plastic or something, with a lip on the edge of it, kind of similar to a large car floor mat? He was cracking me up last night, sitting on the edge of the door and dropping shells on the dog. When the dog jumped he'd make this noise that almost sounded like he was cackling. I think I'll enjoy his twisted sense of humor.

Most Reactions

Latest posts