newbie just got 2 parakeets(aid needed)

larskap

Apr 24, 2013
Hi guys

I recently became the owner of 2 cute parakeets. They were passed on to my girlfriend from her late grandfather, so we really do not have much experience with the sort. Also, I'm not sure how old they are, but pretty sure the youngest is somewhere between 2-4 years, and the oldest a couple of years older maybe.

I was wondering if anyone around this place might have any tips and tricks for us. It seems as the two furry ones didn't endure much taming or training, so i was thinking, maybe it's too late? They seem to be life-threatened by hands, but i guess it's common from what i have read elsewhere.

I would really appreciate some help, as i've fallen in love with the birds I'm hoping i can make them feel safe and enjoy their lives, instead of constant fearing us.

They are both males(pretty sure), we have a cage and some stuff put in it, along with food.

Thank you so much:):whiteblue:

//Lars

PS: I'm from Norway, but i hope my english is understandable

skittles9

Nov 24, 2012
utah
Parrots
2 parakeets
your english is perfect and i believe your doing a great job with the birds just dont try to force them to like you little by little good luck!

weco

Nov 24, 2010
USA
Parrots
Nanday, suns, parrotlet, Patagonian
Welcome to the forum Lars, glad you stopped by.....

Often budgies/parakeets are obtained by bird lovers, but never really interacted with, but if you GFs grandfather did interact with them, the problem is not knowing you or their new surroundings & being apprehensive of YOUR hands...patience usually brings birds around, once they decide you're not an ogre going to eat them.....

Since you are interested in interacting with them, do a google search for "clicker training birds" and there are a number of clicker training videos on youtube.....there are also several books & commercial training videos available, but there really is enough free information that you should be able to do well without an investment....

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
Just spend lots of time near the cage, talking to them. They'll eventually realize you're not a threat. I also agree with the clicker training.

You're English is awesome, I never would have known it wasn't your first language if you hadn't mentioned it :)

OP
L

larskap

Apr 24, 2013
Thanks for the input everyone:) I'll check out some of those clicker vids, hopefully i'll learn something about birds and taming them.
Anyway, does anyone have any thoughts around them being two? regarding how easy taming them together will be? and also, what kinds of snacks do these fellas love the most?

Happy chirpin':blue2:

// Lars

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
These birds are adults in the video...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

Most Reactions