Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Here is a pic from a few nights ago. Salty eating his chop, well, wearing his chop, with some Avicakes mixed in. Looks good on him, no?
wrench13-albums-salty-pics-picture17098-salty-mush-mouth.jpg

http://www.parrotforums.com/members/wrench13-albums-salty-pics-picture17098-salty-mush-mouth.jpg

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Mr. Rival took a look over my shoulder and is now howling about 'why is a bird cute with food all over his face, but let me get one tiny cookie crumble stuck on my lip and...' and on and on, yadda yadda yadda...

You're GORGEOUS, Salty-o! Chop on!

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Oh thats not even that messy, sometimes you cant even see his nostrils, like when he is eating yams. We expect him to sneeze out half a serving.

Rival_of_the_Rickeybird

2x Parrot of the Month 🏆
Jul 31, 2016
Ohio
Parrots
None. My wife has one too many. Kidding!
Oh, brother... now the Mrs. is in pursuit of photos of her bird with maximum head coverage with chile seeds.

Still... I give you this... he IS cute.

He is.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now, Salty is just about going to bed, with Mrs Wrench having administered his training the last few nights, as the band is down in Florida playing at a pirate festival. Amazingly, Salty actually did most of his tricks for her, but not all, and Geri said he would just walk to the edge of the training table and throw the prop ( ball, cup, whatever) over the side, to indicate "I'm DONE" , something he never does with me.
I was able to make friends with a Senigal parrot and a Severe macaw down here, curtesy of one of the other pirates who travels with her birds. Both in excellent feather, took me awhile, sitting quietly by their cages and waiting with a treat for each. Her Seni really talks well. While it was fun to meet these two, it made me miss the Salty boy, but we'll be flying out tomorrow early AM, and I'll be home in time to wake him up and hear his "Good Morning".

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Al, as I mentioned before, that boy of yours looks perpetually happy! Love the look on his face and bright eyes :D.

Salty? Well done! you wear it well birdie :p

Jim

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I love the twinkle in his eyes in that picture!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
He DOES have the most amazing smile. Looks genuine, too. Sincere and affectionate, unlike some birds. One bird.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Wow, Salty did a 180 on me yesterday, after we got back. He seemed glad to see me and then administered one of the worst bites he has ever handed out. He had not bitten me like this in 6 or more months. But then after showing him the blood coming out from my hand and saying ' look what you did to Daddy?' and letting him just sit on his boing for awhile, he did a 180, and was begging me for a scratch, and a little treat. He made up with me and I forgave him, how could I not?
And as if to show he meant it, the nights training session was so smooth, and he put his heart into it, even did his harness training with gusto. It all made up for the pain and blood. I told him I called it even steven .

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Amazing how smart and empathetic our parrots can be... and how they can hold a grudge!

I'm glad you both made up. I'm sure he truly was feeling some regret for his actions. I know some would say I'm just anthropomorphizing, but I don't think so. I think their emotional processing might be a lot more complicated than people usually believe.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Al, Saltmiester thought about it.."Hmmm..why did Dad leave me with just Mama?..she's ok...still".. Then he saw you,was happy to see you,then thought again.." Hmmm..I'll fix his wagon but GOOD!:mad: If I give him a nice chomp..maybe Dad will think twice about leaving me for so long again!";)

See?? That's why Amy goes EVERYWHERE with me lol..You had a taste of her wrath lol..

Jim

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Well Salty got a few feathers clipped last night, they love him at the vets. He was so cute, when we got to the waiting area to pay the bill, he shoved his head into my ear and wanted to be scratched and snuggled. I took him after work and by the time we got out it was full dark, first time he's been out in his Pack O Bird at night and in the car. He started to get anxious, flitting about some , so I left the courtesy light on , shining on him and he settled down, poor baby. Got home and he finished his dinner of Yummie Yamms, and did a training session with me, more scratchies and then bed

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
I will bet MONEY that the vet's office loves him.

Ours probably remind themselves to get earplugs next time the Rbird is scheduled. He does that non-stop yelling as he did with you and Salty that time we Skyped.

Dear Salty, what a precious little boy.

Marileen

Aug 31, 2016
Netherlands
Parrots
Harry-Male-African Grey born in 2000
Toon-Male-African Grey born in 2001
Bob-Male-Budgie born in 2014
He behaved very well! What a sweetheart Salty is!
3371.gif

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Short but cute note. We have been getting Salty used to playing with a microfibre hand towel, maybe 10" x 10" - playing tug o war, peek a boo, hiding treats in the folds and letting him search them out, stuff like that. Last night I laid it on my lap and put Salty on it , on his back. He pulled the folds over himself like he was going to go nite nite in it, and stayed there for a minute or so, chewing on the towel, and looking out at us from the folds. So friggin' cute and me without a cell phone to catch it, I will try tonight. Also he has started saying "Hi Geri" to my wife, which one would think would thrill her. No, she wants him to call her Mommy.

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Right now Salty is eating his daytime meal, blackberries and apples, and practicing his new words, "Thank You" ( I say that a lot when I reward him during training), and "I Love You" which his Mommy has been working on with him. Salty just decided to start saying them during his mid-afternoon Amazon crazy time. Thats how he is, he starts saying stuff during those times, and once he does, words and phrases then become part of his speech. Both nice things to hear from you birdie!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Ya Al..Amy does the same thing..usually in the morning after she has her brekky,she gets very animated and vocal,and goes thru a lot of her words.

Its kinda funny...there are words she knows,but hasn't said them in a LONG time,but during her morning routine,she says a few. One kind of touched my heart :eek: My mom has been gone for almost 10 years now,and mom's best friend and next door neighbor,would come to the back door and knock,and call out "Ellen?...ELLEN???" and Amy picked that up.

Sometimes,during one of her routines,she'll call out my mom's name :52:
I keep wondering if Amy really knows who she is calling for,and if she misses mom..Amy and mom spent many a day together while I was truckin' up and down the highway.

Jim

OP
wrench13

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Jim, I think that initially they don't really understand what they are saying, but eventually do put associations to the vocalizations. Put it this way, Salty started saying HI awhile ago, but only says it when someone come in thru the front door now.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon

Al, Amy says "hello" or "hi" often..but there has been many a night,when I have come in the door at 3 or 4 in the morning,she will say "hello?..helloooo?" in a very SOFT and quiet voice :confused: And she only says this quiet hello,when it is dark out,and I'm trying to sneak in :rolleyes:

Jim

Most Reactions

Latest posts