izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Hi everyone, Iā€™m sure some of you have seen posts Iā€™ve made about many parrot species as im researching all my options!

Iā€™ve come to the forums today to get some opinions about my compatibility with a couple species

These are:
African greys (timneh mostly)
Eclectus
Amazons
Hahns macaws
Meyers
Moustache parakeets
And alexandrines

So about me!

Im not planning on getting a parrot for many years, I want to be very stable for any birdy I might end up with.
I have been making fresh daily vegetables for my rabbits for 7 years and Iā€™ve come to understand the nutrient balances of all the vegetables I use for the best nutrition for my pets.
I donā€™t find myself remembering to give my rabbits pellets often, preferring to just give fresh balanced veggie meals daily instead with pellets being more monthly / fortnightly treats.
Personality wise I tend to be very chill, Iā€™m not an on the go kind of person, however this does not in any way mean that Iā€™m unwilling to be active for an animal - I love playing with animals - but I really like a companion I can just sit with sometimes.
I prefer louder but occasional noise to constant chattering, cockatiels and budgies drive me nuts! I love them but I like a bit of a deeper pitch haha.

I am looking at greys because I have been drawn to them since I was very little researching about Alex the grey and just completely obsessed!
I love the way they look and their talking is cool but itā€™s not very important to me, I just really dig birds!
While I find biting frustrating I know itā€™s not really something you can change about them itā€™s very ingrained in all birds and Iā€™m okay with that.
Whilst I will most likely be working a full time job by the time I feel Iā€™m ready for a FID I am very mush a homebody and find nothing more enjoyable than just being with my animals at home.

I currently take my rabbits and guinea pigs to the vet every year at least for vaccinations, but as they are prey animals as soon as I see a potential issue I take them to the vet, these visits are not cheap costing hundreds at a time but I am very very prepared to spend it on my beloved pets.

By the time I have a bird I will probably not have any other pets as I want them to be the focus of my time and attention so that I can fulfill their needs the best I can.

Im very passionate about adoption and really want that to be the case for my bird, however the only options I have for adoption are usually fairly young, being given away on trading sites because people got them and couldnā€™t handle them, the most common birds I see in this category are blue fronted amazons, DYH amazons, alexes, large macaws, and eclectus.

If I were to get a grey, moustache, meyers, Hahns, or non hot three amazon it would be a bought baby from a breeder or pet store.
Obviously I would seek out the most responsible option of these but I donā€™t want to fund the breeder industry if you understand what Iā€™m saying?

So my most ethical option is an adopted amazon, macaw or eclectus, and I understand the whole bird chooses you concept, but Iā€™m wondering which species based on species characteristics should I focus more on?

And does anyone here feel like I have a compatible personality with the average African grey?

Im not seeking a perfect answer just some direction :)

thanks in advance!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I believe that you are way-over thinking this! Mid to larger Parrots are better at choosing the correct Human for them!! I would strongly recommend that you: Let the Parrot Choose You!! Remember the goal is to develop a Trust Bond and what better way for that to happen and quickly, is for the Parrot to choose, right!! Otherwise, it. is you forcing yourself on the Parrot.

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
Big bird, big responsibility. I've had rabbits and guinea pigs and even a sugar glider once, (do not recommend). The good thing is the poop and pee smell from a parrot is negligible compared to any mammal.

I prefer a pick and place sized bird. Bird lands somewhere I don't want it to be, I just pick it up and move it to my shoulder. If it's not hand shy it will actually love being picked up like this.

Also bigger the bird the louder they can be. My Sun drowns out and dwarfs the entire flock, even the quaker. I actually enjoy the budgies chirping it makes me feel calm and happy.

I would recommend: (website quote)

"Senegal parrots are known for being comical and are able to talk and mimic peopleā€™s behaviors well. Even so, they tend to bond to one person and might start to avoid interacting with other family members.

These quiet parrots thrive on interaction with their owners and can be a great source of amusement for the entire household.

This medium-sized bird native to west Africa is an outstanding pet. The dark green and brown parrots are beautiful, and most importantly, relatively quiet birds. This parrot, while possessing the ability to talk and willingness to vocalize, wonā€™t scream and screech."

From https://www.birdcagesnow.com/blogs/bird-blog/quiet-pet-birds

Behind that would be A Green cheak conure. Mine have always used their "inside voice" except when contact calling or startled.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Iā€™ve had a timneh african grey in the past (a rehome) and I now have two older, rehomed amazons. I highly recommend an older bird, and if youā€™ve done your research I wouldnā€™t necessarily let a ā€œhot 3ā€ label deter you. Sammy is a Yellow Nape Amazon and therefore a hot 3, and I admit to being scared of her myself at first, which was actually the cause of ANY problems Iā€™ve had with her!

I worked with her with a trainer and followed up on our ā€œhomeworkā€ and already I am so much more comfortable with her. Birds can tell when youā€™re afraid, of them or otherwise, and as theyā€™re prey animals it agitates them and sets them on high alert!

Iā€™ve also found, at least in my area, that it isnā€™t that hard to find non-hot 3 amazons up for adoption as well. Itā€™s how we got our Orange Wing Amazon.

Temperament wise, I find the amazons handle new people & new situations with significantly less anxiety than the grey did, but all three birds had to be acclimated and socialized before being fully comfortable. The ā€˜zons seem to get really excited when things get noisy or interesting - the grey would shut down or panic.

I would argue that while greys have been a long time focus for study and debate about psittacine intelligence, our Yellow Nape is just as clever. She has lots of different calls (she speaks as well) that indicate what she wants, and sheā€™s incredibly quick on picking up new commands and tricks.

That isnā€™t to say our Orange Wing isnā€™t as intelligent - he just seems less curious. He has fits and spells though where heā€™s very engaged in something and wants to learn or play; he just spends a lot more time napping or minding his own business than our Yellow Nape, who always seems to be getting into something. This may simply be because our OWA has longstanding health issues however.

As for older birds - large parrots live a LONG time, and the only real trade off in my opinion with an older bird is sometimes they have health issues (often with weight and their liver) or bad habits theyā€™ve learned from a previous home. Donā€™t let the old adage about dogs and new tricks deter you, however. If you meet them on their level, most parrots are willing to learn and adapt. The plus side of an older bird is that itā€™s settled into itā€™s personality and well past puberty. If it likes you when you first meet it, itā€™s probably going to keep on liking you, although sometimes you both might have bad days. :)

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
I believe that you are way-over thinking this! Mid to larger Parrots are better at choosing the correct Human for them!! I would strongly recommend that you: Let the Parrot Choose You!! Remember the goal is to develop a Trust Bond and what better way for that to happen and quickly, is for the Parrot to choose, right!! Otherwise, it. is you forcing yourself on the Parrot.
Absolutely, itā€™s just a bit harder to find this situation as 99% of regimes I could get are from private sellers - I am willing to do the search for the one but I want to see where I should look in general, it wonā€™t stop me from looking at others though NO WAY haha

Thank you for your reply sailboat!

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Right - you may want a Grey, but if a 'Zon or macaw chooses you, you will be in a better place then picking one from a species standpoint.
I really feel like Iā€™ll end up with a Zon, macaw, or eclectus as I really do want an older bird who has gone through puberty and will be more mature, however the oldest I will be able to find near me is going to be 1-3.5 years old. And these older birds I see live in such sad cages with no toys and bad diets and it just makes my heart ache!

Thank you for your reply wrench!

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Big bird, big responsibility. I've had rabbits and guinea pigs and even a sugar glider once, (do not recommend). The good thing is the poop and pee smell from a parrot is negligible compared to any mammal.

I prefer a pick and place sized bird. Bird lands somewhere I don't want it to be, I just pick it up and move it to my shoulder. If it's not hand shy it will actually love being picked up like this.

Also bigger the bird the louder they can be. My Sun drowns out and dwarfs the entire flock, even the quaker. I actually enjoy the budgies chirping it makes me feel calm and happy.

I would recommend: (website quote)

"Senegal parrots are known for being comical and are able to talk and mimic peopleā€™s behaviors well. Even so, they tend to bond to one person and might start to avoid interacting with other family members.

These quiet parrots thrive on interaction with their owners and can be a great source of amusement for the entire household.

This medium-sized bird native to west Africa is an outstanding pet. The dark green and brown parrots are beautiful, and most importantly, relatively quiet birds. This parrot, while possessing the ability to talk and willingness to vocalize, wonā€™t scream and screech."

From https://www.birdcagesnow.com/blogs/bird-blog/quiet-pet-birds

Behind that would be A Green cheak conure. Mine have always used their "inside voice" except when contact calling or startled.
Oh I simply love Senegals! Iā€™ve just heard that Meyers are a bit more laid back in terms of protectiveness and personality.

However Senegalā€™s are much more common than Meyers near me so Im always looking at them!

I really love little birds thatā€™s why I have some on my list of guilty favourites haha but I have preference for larger birds because I just feel more attached to them and I feel more comfortable with them too!

I have a weak spot for pearly conures though!
Thank you for your reply Clarke conure!

OP
I

izzieschickies

Oct 3, 2021
Iā€™ve had a timneh african grey in the past (a rehome) and I now have two older, rehomed amazons. I highly recommend an older bird, and if youā€™ve done your research I wouldnā€™t necessarily let a ā€œhot 3ā€ label deter you. Sammy is a Yellow Nape Amazon and therefore a hot 3, and I admit to being scared of her myself at first, which was actually the cause of ANY problems Iā€™ve had with her!

I worked with her with a trainer and followed up on our ā€œhomeworkā€ and already I am so much more comfortable with her. Birds can tell when youā€™re afraid, of them or otherwise, and as theyā€™re prey animals it agitates them and sets them on high alert!

Iā€™ve also found, at least in my area, that it isnā€™t that hard to find non-hot 3 amazons up for adoption as well. Itā€™s how we got our Orange Wing Amazon.

Temperament wise, I find the amazons handle new people & new situations with significantly less anxiety than the grey did, but all three birds had to be acclimated and socialized before being fully comfortable. The ā€˜zons seem to get really excited when things get noisy or interesting - the grey would shut down or panic.

I would argue that while greys have been a long time focus for study and debate about psittacine intelligence, our Yellow Nape is just as clever. She has lots of different calls (she speaks as well) that indicate what she wants, and sheā€™s incredibly quick on picking up new commands and tricks.

That isnā€™t to say our Orange Wing isnā€™t as intelligent - he just seems less curious. He has fits and spells though where heā€™s very engaged in something and wants to learn or play; he just spends a lot more time napping or minding his own business than our Yellow Nape, who always seems to be getting into something. This may simply be because our OWA has longstanding health issues however.

As for older birds - large parrots live a LONG time, and the only real trade off in my opinion with an older bird is sometimes they have health issues (often with weight and their liver) or bad habits theyā€™ve learned from a previous home. Donā€™t let the old adage about dogs and new tricks deter you, however. If you meet them on their level, most parrots are willing to learn and adapt. The plus side of an older bird is that itā€™s settled into itā€™s personality and well past puberty. If it likes you when you first meet it, itā€™s probably going to keep on liking you, although sometimes you both might have bad days. :)
Definitely want to adopt for the reason of age as well! But like I said in an earlier reply to someone else the oldest I can really find is about 3 years which makes me think they were rehomed due to their puberty and it makes me so sad šŸ˜­

I really love all the hot three itā€™s just a way I can refer to those I can find near me, yellow napes, blue fronts, and DYH all of which I really love!

Would you say your Amazon is a bird that is happy to just sit with you for a while just hanging out, or are they just going all day like funny little clown playing all day non stop?
The label of hot three would never deter me! I just see them in tiny dirty empty cages eating only seed and feel so bad I would go and get them there and then! šŸ˜­

And I would just like to highlight Im that I care very little if I got a talking bird, it doesnā€™t interest me that much I just love the bond and personalities! And intelligence is also very low on priorities.

Thank you for your reply ravvlet!

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Every bird is different, but both my amazons seem to prefer doing their own thing and then seeking/asking for attention when theyā€™re ready for it. The only bird Iā€™ve ever had that was a real velcro bird was a cockatiel.

Botsari

Nov 1, 2022
Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
Parrots
African Greys
Old thread, I know. As people have implied every parrot, regardless of species, has its own distinct personality, and while there are average variations in behavioral tendencies between species, the statistical variations within a species can often be as large as the average difference between species. Average noise levels do reliably vary between species as well.

As a result if you get just one bird friend it might not matter too much what species. The starting point will always be a bit of a crapshoot, and you need to know that from the start and be ready to work with your roll of the dice - regardless. Socializing a bird early - in the first half dozen years of life at most - by exposing them to a variety of foods, people, household situations, other pets, etc., is crucial. After that most seem to decide, though certain species and individual birds vary, that only what that are already familiar with is acceptable, and are very stuck in their ways. While changes can be made at that age they will have to be very gradual, persistent, and planned like a long-term military campaign, and even then might not be fully effective. If you get an older bird be prepared for that reality, and work within it. Birds are not pack animals like dogs that evolved to rapidly, almost ritualistically, bond with with other members of a group in order to survive. Bonding with birds is much more complicated and "individualistic" - not as automatic. And their memories as relates to their relationships are also way more developed and long lasting.

A lot of people want to adopt an adult as there are so many birds in limbo out there. But one thing that makes a profound lifelong difference regardless of species is getting a fully hand-raised bird from a breeder, especially if there isn't going to be another bird around. I have experience with both and it can make a huge difference in their relationship with you. Hand reared birds tend to be very happy with being around people from the start. If it is your first bird this is not a bad idea because it does take a while to learn how to approach much older birds that may not be inclined to love you right out of the gate. But there are pluses and minuses either way. But as mentioned above, it is the bird that ultimately chooses you, especially one that is already an adult. If you can work it out where you can find a shelter that will give you the opportunity to find such a partner that would be fantastic too.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts