Aggression in Quaker when attempting to introduce Green Cheek Conure into Home

ShutupandJive

Nov 3, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot
Green Cheek Conure (Pineapple)
My partner and I have had our Quaker parrot Milo for around 8 months now. He was a rehome from a pet store at around 18 months old when we got him, after being surrendered to the pet store.

We have recently purchased a green cheek conure at 1 years old. Milo was already reasonably calm and mostly asleep when we finally moved her cage into the room he stays in and didn't recognise any problems immediately.

Today after returning home from work, I'd noticed that Milo's behaviour had completely changed. He had never been particularly aggressive or territorial towards me in the past, but now he is aggressively clawing to the side of the cage and biting at it. When trying to get him out of his cage, he flew to the green cheek's cage and aggressively made displays on top of it, and when i tried to pick him up, he bit me, which he has not done since the very beginning of our time with him.

I'm hoping he'll calm down, just having the cages near each other over the next week, and definitely not having them out of their cages at the same time but I was wondering if this was normal quaker behaviour when introducing them to another bird, or if this was a bad sign that these two birds will not get along.

Any advice would be much appreciated, I can provide any more information as requested.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't have advice but I'm interested in what people recommend!

Welcome to the forums!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
How are Milo and his new sibling doing?

I have two birds who are jealous of time spent with the other bird. They call and whine when I have bird time with the rival bird. So I alternate time with them.

Since your Quaker was there first, and since they are jealous little birds, I would reassure him that he is still the #1 bird and that you have NOT replaced him with a younger cuter model.

I also give treats to both birds, but the smaller birds treats are smaller.

You could buy flowers and candy and beg… (just kidding).

Most Reactions

Latest posts