Baby cockatiel poo looks weird

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Try to write a timeline of when his last feedings were, about how much was eaten at each, whether the food was mixed fresh each time, did you check the temp?
6pm-12:50pm yes everytime i feed cico the food is fresh made, the food is warm

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Try to write a timeline of when his last feedings were, about how much was eaten at each, whether the food was mixed fresh each time, did you check the temp?
Heat up some plain water and try to fed that to cico so he gets fluids. How is his breathing? I hope this isn't a breathing problem that developed after you accidentally shot too much formula into cicos mouth a couple days ago. Aspiration pneumonia can take a couple days to develop as it is an infection not just a blockage. Why can't you get Cico to an emergency vet? Where are you traveling? Is Cico with you?
Why did you take 15 hours to mention this? Weren't you feeding at least four times a day?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Heat up some plain water and try to fed that to cico so he gets fluids. How is his breathing? I hope this isn't a breathing problem that developed after you accidentally shot too much formula into cicos mouth a couple days ago. Aspiration pneumonia can take a couple days to develop as it is an infection not just a blockage. Why can't you get Cico to an emergency vet? Where are you traveling? Is Cico with you?
Why did you take 15 hours to mention this? Weren't you feeding at least four times a day?
He refuses to eat anything from the syringe and im travelling to a different state and this state dont have any avian vet and vet that treat birds, i mention this right now because that one time you said if cico is not eating i nedd to wait a couple hours, and its afternoon and cico is still not eating.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Um his breathing looks normal

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How many hours since the last good feeding? Your messages say 15 hours then 6pm to 12:50. I don't understand.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
How many hours since the last good feeding? Your messages say 15 hours then 6pm to 12:50. I don't understand.
Ok i am just like very scared and panicking right now so ok here let me explain , i always feed him fresh made formula which is warm, yesterday i fed him at around 6pm and this morning i wanted to feed him at 8am but he refuses, as you mention before, you ask me to wait a couple hours before trying to feed him again, so that is what i did, i wait from 8 am to 12 pm but now he is still not eating keep in mind the last time i fed him was yesterday at around 6 pm, so i was scared and ask you about it, yeah thats all

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He refuses to eat anything from the syringe and im travelling to a different state and this state dont have any avian vet and vet that treat birds, i mention this right now because that one time you said if cico is not eating i nedd to wait a couple hours, and its afternoon and cico is still not eating.
So you are driving around with your baby bird? If so, why? I suppose if you need to travel for work that's unavoidable. Do you live in the US?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Ok i am just like very scared and panicking right now so ok here let me explain , i always feed him fresh made formula which is warm, yesterday i fed him at around 6pm and this morning i wanted to feed him at 8am but he refuses, as you mention before, you ask me to wait a couple hours before trying to feed him again, so that is what i did, i wait from 8 am to 12 pm but now he is still not eating keep in mind the last time i fed him was yesterday at around 6 pm, so i was scared and ask you about it, yeah thats all
Generally when the baby is this age the final feeding of the day should be at night right before bedtime, like 10pm not our dinnertime of 6pm.
2 week old babies get last feed around midnight.
Is Cico acting different, other than not eating? Is he pooping still?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
So you are driving around with your baby bird? If so, why? I suppose if you need to travel for work that's unavoidable. Do you live in the US?
By the way i am not an adult i am a teen, yes i am travelling to my hometown, only i know how to hand feed cico so that is why i brought him with me, i am not from the us, i am from malaysia.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Generally when the baby is this age the final feeding of the day should be at night right before bedtime, like 10pm not our dinnertime of 6pm.
Is there any chance that Cico got overheated or chilled from being left in a car unattended?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
I read on google that i should stop feeding at around 6 or 7 because bird usually sleep at that time in the wild, he is pooping normally and acting normally.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Is there any chance that Cico got overheated or chilled from being left in a car unattended?
I would never left a living being in a car unattended, yesterday he might be cold tho because i turn on the ac but i put his box under the bed, and i will turn off the ac if the room gets a bit cold.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
By the way i am not an adult i am a teen, yes i am travelling to my hometown, only i know how to hand feed cico so that is why i brought him with me, i am not from the us, i am from malaysia.
Okay. I'm sorry but I did not know I was communicating with a minor. I thought you were an adult. I know nothing about Malaysia and the veterinary care available there. I realize you would never neglect a living creature in a hot car on purpose but sometimes people need to leave cars and don't realize how hot they can get so quickly. Understand that I had no idea how old you were, how much control you have over whether you can take Cico to a vet, whether you drive, whether you can afford it, etc. Are you driving around Malaysia yourself or with parents or guardians? Anyone who can help you?
Regarding final feeding times, in nature, parent birds try to feed their babies right up until they can no longer find food for them because it's too dark out or the parents no longer have any food in their crops to regurgitate. If the babies are begging, the parents will feed them until they can't. Then the family goes to sleep. The final feed is as late as possible for the parents because the babies need to be fed often.
Anyway, I don't know what else to tell you. It doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong. Cico may still be fine. He's not a very young chick- he's at least four weeks now I believe, and I don't think he will die if he goes one day without food at this age. He has quite a bit of body mass and there's still food in his digestive system or he wouldn't be pooping. Try to get him to take some warm water and very gently message his crop down near the bottom to make sure there isn't some mass of food blocking the outlet of his crop.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Okay. I'm sorry but I did not know I was communicating with a minor. I thought you were an adult. I know nothing about Malaysia and the veterinary care available there. I realize you would never neglect a living creature in a hot car on purpose but sometimes people need to leave cars and don't realize how hot they can get so quickly. Understand that I had no idea how old you were, how much control you have over whether you can take Cico to a vet, whether you drive, whether you can afford it, etc. Are you driving around Malaysia yourself or with parents or guardians? Anyone who can help you?
Regarding final feeding times, in nature, parent birds try to feed their babies right up until they can no longer find food for them because it's too dark out or the parents no longer have any food in their crops to regurgitate. If the babies are begging, the parents will feed them until they can't. Then the family goes to sleep. The final feed is as late as possible for the parents because the babies need to be fed often.
Anyway, I don't know what else to tell you. It doesn't sound like you have done anything wrong. Cico may still be fine. He's not a very young chick- he's at least four weeks now I believe, and I don't think he will die if he goes one day without food at this age. He has quite a bit of body mass and there's still food in his digestive system or he wouldn't be pooping. Try to get him to take some warm water and very gently message his crop down near the bottom to make sure there isn't some mass of food blocking the outlet of his crop.
Breeding season in Australia for cockatiels is summer (approx. Dec-Mar) when the sun stays up high in the Southern Hemisphere sky until as late as 9:30pm depending on where in Australia you are. Malaysia is much closer to the equator where the length of the days and nights varies very little year round.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Yes my parents are driving me around my hometown, yes thank you so so much for understanding, i am a kid that is new to bird caring, cico looks quite fat too, i will try to give him warm water later on since he refuses to eat anything from syringe right now, thank you very much for making me feel better too, thanks! ☺️

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Yes my parents are driving me around my hometown, yes thank you so so much for understanding, i am a kid that is new to bird caring, cico looks quite fat too, i will try to give him warm water later on since he refuses to eat anything from syringe right now, thank you very much for making me feel better too, thanks! ☺️
Also i am so sorry if i have do anything wrong, i am not experienced at all.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Also i am so sorry if i have do anything wrong, i am not experienced at all.
I don't blame you but I wish the breeder had not sold such a vulnerable creature to a young person with no experience feeding baby birds. I didn't set out to raise a baby budgie from an egg on purpose- I had no choice other than try or let the chick die. Fortunately I studied everything I could and with the help of experts I succeeded. I didn't even join the forum until Rocky was weaned. I'm happy I was able to help. I encouraged you to see an avian vet but for whatever reason you didn't. I will feel terrible, and somewhat responsible if Cico dies but I couldn't just turn my back on you and Cico. When can you get Cico to a vet?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
I don't blame you but I wish the breeder had not sold such a vulnerable creature to a young person with no experience feeding baby birds. I didn't set out to raise a baby budgie from an egg on purpose- I had no choice other than try or let the chick die. Fortunately I studied everything I could and with the help of experts I succeeded. I didn't even join the forum until Rocky was weaned. I'm happy I was able to help. I encouraged you to see an avian vet but for whatever reason you didn't. I will feel terrible, and somewhat responsible if Cico dies but I couldn't just turn my back on you and Cico. When can you get Cico to a vet?
I was going to bring him to the vet but that time the doctor took a day off and now i can’t because im travelling, i am sorry

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
I think i can bring him tomorrow because i will be home just i am not sure at what time

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
By the way i just fed him, his back to normal now, sorry for making a scene

Most Reactions

Latest posts