Baby cockatiel poo looks weird

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
By the way i just fed him, his back to normal now, sorry for making a scene
Maybe riding around in a car was a bit stressful for him. Personally I think it's very important to get your bird accustomed to new people, things, and situations when they are young like this to prevent them from growing up fearful of harmless things. I'm that respect I think it's good to take him with you when you go out as long as he is safe.. in a couple weeks he will be flyiñg and escaping is a huge risk that you need to prevent. I recommend trimming his flight feathers slightly to prevent this. Cockatiel are very strong flyers.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Maybe riding around in a car was a bit stressful for him. Personally I think it's very important to get your bird accustomed to new people, things, and situations when they are young like this to prevent them from growing up fearful of harmless things. I'm that respect I think it's good to take him with you when you go out as long as he is safe.. in a couple weeks he will be flyiñg and escaping is a huge risk that you need to prevent. I recommend trimming his flight feathers slightly to prevent this. Cockatiel are very strong flyers.
Hm i am not sure to trim his wings or not, since most people don’t reccomend it, ill think about it

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hm i am not sure to trim his wings or not, since most people don’t reccomend it, ill think about it
I totally understand the controversy about wing trimming. I just want to say that the way I trim wings is very conservative. I just shorten the longest primary flight feathers about one inch (in my budgie) so she can fly normally for about 20 feet then drift to the floor. I have lost several budgies to the great outdoors and it's 2always so tragic. The wing clips done at pet stores and some vets is so severe the poor bird cannot fly at all!
EglsJust imagine how awful it would geefgft,bfñgy

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I totally understand the controversy about wing trimming. I just want to say that the way I trim wings is very conservative. I just shorten the longest primary flight feathers about one inch (in my budgie) so she can fly normally for about 20 feet then drift to the floor. I have lost several budgies to the great outdoors and it's 2always so tragic. The wing clips done at pet stores and some vets is so severe the poor bird cannot fly at all!
EglsJust imagine how awful it would geefgft,bfñgy
How AWFUL it would be if Cico flew away and got lost, which is what usually happens to all but the best flight trained birds! Personally, I would be devastated, and I haven't even met you or Cico. Just thinking about your baby (Cico will always be your baby) out there lost and starving makes me cry. 😭

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How AWFUL it would be if Cico flew away and got lost, which is what usually happens to all but the best flight trained birds! Personally, I would be devastated, and I haven't even met you or Cico. Just thinking about your baby (Cico will always be your baby) out there lost and starving makes me cry. 😭
How is Cico doing today?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
How is Cico doing today?
Sorry for the late reply, he WAS doing great this morning, all his poop and tge way he act all is normal but just a few minutes ago he started pooping black poop, “tar like poop” most of the vet here is close so i am finding a vet that treat bird

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Sorry for the late reply, he WAS doing great this morning, all his poop and tge way he act all is normal but just a few minutes ago he started pooping black poop, “tar like poop” most of the vet here is close so i am finding a vet that treat bird
Update, the only vet that treat bird is back in my state, and it will take like 2-3 hours to arrive there wish me and cico luck!

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Please let me know how he is. Post poop photo.
Hello he was brought to the vet a couple hours ago, the doctor did not checked him properly, he just let cico perch on his finger and he just TOUCH cico belly for like 2 seconds and say “he is fine”, his poop look like tar and the doctor said its fine and its normal, i am no doctor but i don’t think you treat bird by just touching the belly for like 2 second and the bird is cured, also the doctor just like kinda play with cico saying “such a cutie” and did not even do anything medical, he just gave me new syringes to try to feed cico and did not reccomend me to use spoon at all. Cico is doing fine right now but i just want to say the doctor is not that proper. Dw about cico he is happy now (i think)!

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Hello he was brought to the vet a couple hours ago, the doctor did not checked him properly, he just let cico perch on his finger and he just TOUCH cico belly for like 2 seconds and say “he is fine”, his poop look like tar and the doctor said its fine and its normal, i am no doctor but i don’t think you treat bird by just touching the belly for like 2 second and the bird is cured, also the doctor just like kinda play with cico saying “such a cutie” and did not even do anything medical, he just gave me new syringes to try to feed cico and did not reccomend me to use spoon at all. Cico is doing fine right now but i just want to say the doctor is not that proper. Dw about cico he is happy now (i think)!
I can post the photo tomorrow because i am about to go to sleep.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That was obviously not a medical exam. And the word "cure" should be banished from the language when it comes to illnesses in humans and in animals. "Cure" sounds like something instantaneous and magical and there's no such thing. There are examinations and treatments, not cures, and merely touching a baby bird's belly isn't a real examination. I'm sorry you got to see such a BAD vet but at least they didn't do any harm. I know you are trying so hard with Cico. When you get home you should try to find a vet you can trust. Try asking the breeder what vet they recommend. Maybe the breeder can help you when you have problems with Cico, though I'm not thrilled with a breeder who would sell an unweaned baby to someone with no experience hand feeding. I realize them only way to get experience is to do it and I hope you have learned a lot over the past couple weeks. It's not that difficult to do but things can go wrong. As long as you are preparing his food fresh, feeding at the right temperature, and being very careful if you use a syringe, and Cico is eating, chirping, pooping, playing, and acting normal he's probably okay. It will only be a couple more weeks before Cico is eating on his own and most of this stress will be over. Post some more recent pictures. I'd love to see how your baby is doing and I'd like to see the tarry looking poops.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
That was obviously not a medical exam. And the word "cure" should be banished from the language when it comes to illnesses in humans and in animals. "Cure" sounds like something instantaneous and magical and there's no such thing. There are examinations and treatments, not cures, and merely touching a baby bird's belly isn't a real examination. I'm sorry you got to see such a BAD vet but at least they didn't do any harm. I know you are trying so hard with Cico. When you get home you should try to find a vet you can trust. Try asking the breeder what vet they recommend. Maybe the breeder can help you when you have problems with Cico, though I'm not thrilled with a breeder who would sell an unweaned baby to someone with no experience hand feeding. I realize them only way to get experience is to do it and I hope you have learned a lot over the past couple weeks. It's not that difficult to do but things can go wrong. As long as you are preparing his food fresh, feeding at the right temperature, and being very careful if you use a syringe, and Cico is eating, chirping, pooping, playing, and acting normal he's probably okay. It will only be a couple more weeks before Cico is eating on his own and most of this stress will be over. Post some more recent pictures. I'd love to see how your baby is doing and I'd like to see the tarry looking poops.
Sorry i forgot to take the picture of the poop before throwing but here is his recent poop and also some cute moments, the tar like poop look exact look like this but like mushier and blacker, cico look normal now i think… he usually just like to spend his time relaxing and some time like to just walk around and chirp.

Attachments

• 6B0A3ED9-66AC-4F1C-969B-A3A8A23F4E29.jpeg
    6B0A3ED9-66AC-4F1C-969B-A3A8A23F4E29.jpeg
    250.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 8393E5C8-B5FD-4CCB-8E89-35143D3F04D2.jpeg
    8393E5C8-B5FD-4CCB-8E89-35143D3F04D2.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 28
  • 8CAF7810-BF60-4750-8137-C1856086D084.jpeg
    8CAF7810-BF60-4750-8137-C1856086D084.jpeg
    190.5 KB · Views: 26
  • FullSizeRender.mov
    8.1 MB
OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Sorry i forgot to take the picture of the poop before throwing but here is his recent poop and also some cute moments, the tar like poop look exact look like this but like mushier and blacker, cico look normal now i think… he usually just like to spend his time relaxing and some time like to just walk around and chirp.
Here is some of his videos btw i actually am not sure if he is sick or not because, he is quite sleepy, his poop look a little different,and maybe his appetite decreased, the only real proper avian vet i found is like 4-6 hours from my house and obviously my parents wont drive me there.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Here is some of his videos btw i actually am not sure if he is sick or not because, he is quite sleepy, his poop look a little different,and maybe his appetite decreased, the only real proper avian vet i found is like 4-6 hours from my house and obviously my parents wont drive me there.
Update: i opened his box found hin laying i thought he was just sleeping but when i pick him up his very very weaken he only ate like 4 ml in the morning so i just thought he would want to eat on like 2 pm, but then he was very weaken, ill send some last momen later on, there was no avian vet, im sorry.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Cico looks healthy to me. He's grown a lot.
Update: i opened his box found hin laying i thought he was just sleeping but when i pick him up his very very weaken he only ate like 4 ml in the morning so i just thought he would want to eat on like 2 pm, but then he was very weaken, ill send some last momen later on, there was no avian vet, im sorry.
I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. I don't know what more to do or say to help. Can't you call the breeder you got him from? He's so adorable. I hate to see you lose him. Keep him as warm as possible without overheating and make sure he takes water or very dilute formula so he doesn't get dehydrated. He's big enough to go without eating much for a couple days. In fact, as they finishing growing bigger and have most of their feathers they will eat less.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Cico looks healthy to me. He's grown a lot.

I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. I don't know what more to do or say to help. Can't you call the breeder you got him from? He's so adorable. I hate to see you lose him. Keep him as warm as possible without overheating and make sure he takes water or very dilute formula so he doesn't get dehydrated. He's big enough to go without eating much for a couple days. In fact, as they finishing growing bigger and have most of their feathers they will eat less.
Oh i am so sorry because i forgot to say after he was very weak he then passed away like 30 minutes after that, i even tried giving it cpr and keep him warm by blowing heat to his body,

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
OMG! I can't believe it. Tried so hard. PLEASE DON'T BUY UNWEANED BABY BIRDS.
This is so heartbreaking. I CAN'T EVEN SPEAK.

Last edited by a moderator:

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
OMG! I can't believe it. Tried so hard. PLEASE DON'T BUY UNWEANED BABY BIRDS.
This is so heartbreaking. I CAN'T EVEN SPEAK.
After thinking about Cico's death and reading our communications, I believe what happened to Cico is that she aspirated food when you accidentally slipped with the syringe and shot too much in her mouth about a week ago. Aspiration causes infection in the lungs and air sacs and can take days to be fatal. Cico hadn't been doing well since that incident and you were unable to get prompt care from a qualified avian vet. I can't think of any other reason for Cico's decline and death. It is unethical and cruel to sell UNWEANED baby birds to the public. Period.

Most Reactions

Latest posts