Baby cockatiel poo looks weird

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Hello so i recntly bought a new baby cockatiel and tried to hand feed it using a bird formula and syringe but today when i woke up to feed him again i saw that his poop was weird. I am not that sure because this is my first baby bird. Is the poop weird? Like can’t the baby bird digest its formula??
5E811385-A9E0-4BAE-9F37-A3E111CABB32.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello so i recntly bought a new baby cockatiel and tried to hand feed it using a bird formula and syringe but today when i woke up to feed him again i saw that his poop was weird. I am not that sure because this is my first baby bird. Is the poop weird? Like can’t the baby bird digest its formula??View attachment 49375
I hand fed a baby budgie from the egg and baby bird poo does look strange. But what I see from the photos is very normal. Their poo looks kinda like the formula you feed them. Their poops are much bigger than adult bird poops and soft and wet but not "diarrhea". I wouldn't worry about it. When your bird is weaned it's poops will look more "normal".

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I hand fed a baby budgie from the egg and baby bird poo does look strange. But what I see from the photos is very normal. Their poo looks kinda like the formula you feed them. Their poops are much bigger than adult bird poops and soft and wet but not "diarrhea". I wouldn't worry about it. When your bird is weaned it's poops will look more "normal".
If the baby is still eating the hand feeding formula keep it up until it's eating on its own and rejects the hand feedings. He will wean when he's ready. Withholding hand feedings will just upset him and make him insecure.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
If the baby is still eating the hand feeding formula keep it up until it's eating on its own and rejects the hand feedings. He will wean when he's ready. Withholding hand feedings will just upset him and make him insecure.
Thank you so much for your reply now i don’t have to worry about it! Btw after i feed the baby bird it was still screaming, is that normal? And also how do i know that it is hungry or full?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Thank you so much for your reply now i don’t have to worry about it! Btw after i feed the baby bird it was still screaming, is that normal? And also how do i know that it is hungry or full?
The babies usually stop crying and fall asleep when they are full. They usually stop feeding when full. How much formula did the baby eat? How often are you feeding? Didn't the breeder give you any instructions? Have you ever fed baby parrots before? Have you been reading and watching videos about how to do this?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
The babies usually stop crying and fall asleep when they are full. They usually stop feeding when full. How much formula did the baby eat? How often are you feeding? Didn't the breeder give you any instructions? Have you ever fed baby parrots before? Have you been reading and watching videos about how to do this?
Hello sorry for the late reply, i searched on google how often do i need to feed the baby tiel and google said every 2-4 hours but The confusing thing is that the breeder told me to feed it in the morning, afternoon, evening and night, i did do research on how to feed the baby cockatiel but i still don’t understand about the crop thing, yes this is my first time taking care of a newborn baby parrot , i give the baby tiel 1 1/4 as the syringe attached
BB0C4AA2-4C25-4EAA-8207-1CC9CC48897F.jpeg

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Hello sorry for the late reply, i searched on google how often do i need to feed the baby tiel and google said every 2-4 hours but The confusing thing is that the breeder told me to feed it in the morning, afternoon, evening and night, i did do research on how to feed the baby cockatiel but i still don’t understand about the crop thing, yes this is my first time taking care of a newborn baby parrot , i give the baby tiel 1 1/4 as the syringe attachedView attachment 49388
The younger the chick the more frequently it must be fed. At four weeks once every four hours should be enough if the chick is getting enough at each feeding. 1/4 of a 10 cc syringe isn't enough. A cockatiel chick four weeks old needs at least 5ml per feeding, maybe more. Baby birds that age eat a lot. Make sure the formula isn't too runny or the chick will be getting mostly water.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
The younger the chick the more frequently it must be fed. At four weeks once every four hours should be enough if the chick is getting enough at each feeding. 1/4 of a 10 cc syringe isn't enough. A cockatiel chick four weeks old needs at least 5ml per feeding, maybe more. Baby birds that age eat a lot. Make sure the formula isn't too runny or the chick will be getting mostly water.
no um actually what i said was like the full syringe + a quarter of it, yes thats how much i feed the baby tiel

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Also again thank you so so so much for your helpful replies! I am very thankful

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Also again thank you so so so much for your helpful replies! I am very thankful
I'm pretty worried about your baby cockatiel. Please let me know if you have increased the feeding volume. The baby should not be begging after feeding. They usually stop when full. Sometimes they overeat and that's bad but as long as their crop is full but soft it's not too full. Hold the baby halfway through feeding and after feeding and gently feel the crop. Watch the temp of the formula. Between 98 and 105 is good at this age.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
I'm pretty worried about your baby cockatiel. Please let me know if you have increased the feeding volume. The baby should not be begging after feeding. They usually stop when full. Sometimes they overeat and that's bad but as long as their crop is full but soft it's not too full. Hold the baby halfway through feeding and after feeding and gently feel the crop. Watch the temp of the formula. Between 98 and 105 is good at this age.
Now i feed it until it doesn’t want to open its mouth to the syringe anymore, when he looks like he doesn’t want it anymore i stopped, is that ok?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Now i feed it until it doesn’t want to open its mouth to the syringe anymore, when he looks like he doesn’t want it anymore i stopped, is that ok?
That's good. Don't ever push him to take more but he should refuse when he's finished.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
That's good. Don't ever push him to take more but he should refuse when he's finished.
After finished feeding him, he will make like squeaking noise like hanster noise or sometime just be silent for a while, yesterday i saw him biting his leg a lot of times, is that normal or is that an infection?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
After finished feeding him, he will make like squeaking noise like hanster noise or sometime just be silent for a while, yesterday i saw him biting his leg a lot of times, is that normal or is that an infection?
How does his leg look? Can you take your baby to a bird vet for a check up? I think it's very important to do this especially since you see to be pretty new at this.
Post some photos.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
How does his leg look? Can you take your baby to a bird vet for a check up? I think it's very important to do this especially since you see to be pretty new at this.
Post some photos.
I don't think I ever asked how old this baby cockatiel is. Please post a few photos.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Post some photos.
Whatever you do, don't squirt the formula into baby's mouth quickly or the baby can inhale it and die. I fact I would ditch the syringe and feed him from a teaspoon, letting him take as much formula as he wants at his own pace. When I handfed my budgie from an egg I never used a syringe- he fed from a small teaspoon from day one because I was afraid he would inhale and choke. He did great with spoon feeding. It was a bit messy but I cleaned him up with a warm baby wipes after eating and made sure his bum was clean too.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Post some photos.
9201677C-AD65-48DE-878E-512F03039480.jpeg
23EBB307-FB4C-4CAB-A60C-97B983996A67.jpeg

Sometime he just lowers his head idk if he wants scratches or want to tell me something. There is an avian vet near my area but the reviews are quite low and i saw some people saying their budgie dies because the doctor give him expired medicine, the baby tiel just sometime like nibble on his own feet.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 49426View attachment 49427
Sometime he just lowers his head idk if he wants scratches or want to tell me something. There is an avian vet near my area but the reviews are quite low and i saw some people saying their budgie dies because the doctor give him expired medicine, the baby tiel just sometime like nibble on his own feet.
Nibbling on feet and feathers is normal grooming as long as there are no sores. He learning to groom himself. Give your baby lots of affection and head scratches. He's still got itchy pinfeathers and he will appreciate it. He looks to be about six weeks. Has he been trying to feed himself at all, picking at tiny pellets or millet? You should put some in his "home" which is what? A box? A cage? Does he perch yet? Has he tried to fly?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
View attachment 49426View attachment 49427
I seriously doubt a budgie would die from expired medicine. They're usually a pretty long margin of error built in
As for reviews, I take them with a grain of salt. Human nature being what it is, people are much more eager to write negative reviews than positive ones. Often they're written from a position of unrealistic expectations. I would try to establish a relationship with an avian vet anyway. It will be very important if you bird ever seems sick.

Most Reactions

Latest posts