Baby cockatiel poo looks weird

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
After thinking about Cico's death and reading our communications, I believe what happened to Cico is that she aspirated food when you accidentally slipped with the syringe and shot too much in her mouth about a week ago. Aspiration causes infection in the lungs and air sacs and can take days to be fatal. Cico hadn't been doing well since that incident and you were unable to get prompt care from a qualified avian vet. I can't think of any other reason for Cico's decline and death. It is unethical and cruel to sell UNWEANED baby birds to the public. Period.
Posting the photos of the dead baby was unnecessary and pretty traumatic to me and may be very disturbing to other members, especially for young people.
Sorry for sending the dead photo of cico i just want you to see him for the last time, yeah i donā€™t think i will be buying unweaned babies anymore, its just you know, i bought my buddgies when they are like an adult so its quite hard to tame and also baby birds are cheaper i am so sorry again for making my mistakes. I still canā€™t believe cico died because he was doing kinda ok and then he just shockingly died and it just hard for me to process everything. I will miss cico, he/she was a good bird and i loved him/her šŸ˜žšŸ˜•.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Sorry for sending the dead photo of cico i just want you to see him for the last time, yeah i donā€™t think i will be buying unweaned babies anymore, its just you know, i bought my buddgies when they are like an adult so its quite hard to tame and also baby birds are cheaper i am so sorry again for making my mistakes. I still canā€™t believe cico died because he was doing kinda ok and then he just shockingly died and it just hard for me to process everything. I will miss cico, he/she was a good bird and i loved him/her šŸ˜žšŸ˜•.
Also everytime i think of cico i will be sad and the way i avoid being sad and depressed is just to change my mind, i canā€™t think about cico or i will start cryingā€¦

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I know you loved Cico. The best way to get a tame cockatiel is to buy a fully weaned parent fed or hand fed (by a professional) young bird. It may cost more but a bird that dies is the most expensive one that paid the ultimate price. Save your money and next time and PLEASE get a weaned one. Do it for all the baby birds like Cico out there that deserve a healthy start in life. There are no shortcuts when it comes to an innocent young creature's life.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
H
I know you loved Cico. The best way to get a tame cockatiel is to buy a fully weaned parent fed or hand fed (by a professional) young bird. It may cost more but a bird that dies is the most expensive one that paid the ultimate price. Save your money and next time and PLEASE get a weaned one. Do it for all the baby birds like Cico out there that deserve a healthy start in life. There are no shortcuts when it comes to an innocent young creature's life.
Hey i need your advise, I really really want to give a second try on getting a tiel but i just canā€™t stop thinking about cico, It makes me very very sad and i just get frustrated when considering to get a new tiel but then having flash back about cico. I dont think i will ever get through it but i still want to try getting another one.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
H

Hey i need your advise, I really really want to give a second try on getting a tiel but i just canā€™t stop thinking about cico, It makes me very very sad and i just get frustrated when considering to get a new tiel but then having flash back about cico. I dont think i will ever get through it but i still want to try getting another one.
If you get another UNWEANED chick you will be acting very irresponsible. Try to get a newly weaned one.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
If you get another UNWEANED chick you will be acting very irresponsible. Try to get a newly weaned one.
No no i know that i should be getting a weaned one but im just asking you if i should get a new tiel or not since i cant forget about cico but still one to try having another one

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
No no i know that i should be getting a weaned one but im just asking you if i should get a new tiel or not since i cant forget about cico but still one to try having another one

Yes! Take your time and find a newly weaned eight to ten week old baby. I know you want a male. If you chose a normal wild type colored one you can determine sex very young. I know it's more expensive for young weaned ones but it's worth every penny, so save up your money and do it right this time. Don't ever let a breeder try to convince you to hand feed another baby- in honor of poor Cico PROMISE you won't do that!

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Yes! Take your time and find a newly weaned eight to ten week old baby. I know you want a male. If you chose a normal wild type colored one you can determine sex very young. I know it's more expensive for young weaned ones but it's worth every penny, so save up your money and do it right this time. Don't ever let a breeder try to convince you to hand feed another baby- in honor of poor Cico PROMISE you won't do that!
Yes! But can i buy the one that is like learning to eat? Like it can eat pellet on its own but maybe still needed a little hand feed

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
I think that would be okay IF you PROMISED to only use a spoon and not a syringe.
I canā€™t find a good tutorial on how to use spoon for hand feeding, can you reccomend some? Or perhaps show a tutorial?

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I canā€™t find a good tutorial on how to use spoon for hand feeding, can you reccomend some? Or perhaps show a tutorial?
Love of pets has UTube videos of spoon feeding baby budgies. They are excellent.
Google spoon feeding baby budgies and click on the Videos button. They should come right up.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Love of pets has UTube videos of spoon feeding baby budgies. They are excellent.
Google spoon feeding baby budgies and click on the Videos button. They should come right up.
I have really really great news! After around 2 months I could finally get past cicoā€™s death, it still hurt but not as much, I of course miss him, anyways I got a new cockatiel and its a lutino, it is around 3 months old and I got it from a different breeder I found on facebook marketplace. Hereā€™s a picture of him. I will save up to buy a bigger cage.

Attachments

• 3CAF1CE8-3F03-4C08-B530-41C9D977CB77.jpeg
    3CAF1CE8-3F03-4C08-B530-41C9D977CB77.jpeg
    176.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 80BC6815-9C64-4F54-9E09-CC2DB0F24031.jpeg
    80BC6815-9C64-4F54-9E09-CC2DB0F24031.jpeg
    217.7 KB · Views: 26

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I have really really great news! After around 2 months I could finally get past cicoā€™s death, it still hurt but not as much, I of course miss him, anyways I got a new cockatiel and its a lutino, it is around 3 months old and I got it from a different breeder I found on facebook marketplace. Hereā€™s a picture of him. I will save up to buy a bigger cage.
What a beautiful healthy looking bird! I'm so happy for you and thrilled that you found a weaned baby to love! Please don't let your new baby fly away on you! Many people don't agree with wing trimming. I take an unpopular position and think a conservative trim on both wings is a good idea. The bird can still fly but not as high and not as far, increasing the chances that if he accidentally flew out a window or door you could run after him and get him back. I have a huge fear of my bird flying away never to be seen again. A cockatiel with a slight wing trim can still fly away so it doesn't allow you to walk around outside with your bird without a harness. It just makes it harder for them to go too far. What's your new bird's name?

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
What a beautiful healthy looking bird! I'm so happy for you and thrilled that you found a weaned baby to love! Please don't let your new baby fly away on you! Many people don't agree with wing trimming. I take an unpopular position and think a conservative trim on both wings is a good idea. The bird can still fly but not as high and not as far, increasing the chances that if he accidentally flew out a window or door you could run after him and get him back. I have a huge fear of my bird flying away never to be seen again. A cockatiel with a slight wing trim can still fly away so it doesn't allow you to walk around outside with your bird without a harness. It just makes it harder for them to go too far. What's your new bird's name?
Yeah the breeder did advise to trim the wings, I might ask him to trim it later on, About the name I am thinking of Leo or Luna, by the way there is a tiny little bald spot behind its head, should I be worried about that? I watched a video before about a guy saying lutino cockatiel normally have this disease but I am not sure if it is dangerous or no.

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
Yeah the breeder did advise to trim the wings, I might ask him to trim it later on, About the name I am thinking of Leo or Luna, by the way there is a tiny little bald spot behind its head, should I be worried about that? I watched a video before about a guy saying lutino cockatiel normally have this disease but I am not sure if it is dangerous or no.
Also I am not sure what gender he is, I know that you need to use dna test to 100% identify the gender but you can also look for stripes and appearance such as pale cheeks, as you can see in the photo that I attached before its cheeks look a bit pale. So does that mean its a female? The seller told me that he think that its a male. So I am not that sure.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
The bald spot isn't a disease- it's a condition caused by inbreeding to get lutino birds. It isn't harmful but lutino birds are genetically weaker and MAY not be as strong and healthy as normal colored birds. Don't worry about it! As for gender, apparently you can't tell by just looking at a lutino cockatiel. Either get a DNA test or as he matures a male will be more vocal than a female. Females seldom whistle songs. Pick a very short simple tune you like and whistle it a lot. If its a male it should pick it up pretty quickly. Whatever gender, you have a gorgeous new friend and I'm sure you two will be happy. You can probably pick up a bigger cage used online. A small cage isn't too big a problem if you take him out of the cage a lot to play, fly, and just hang out together. He looks pretty tame and relaxed.
If you get the wings trimmed make sure they trim both of them. Some people only trim one wing which badly throws off the birds flight and the poor bird will crash into everything if it tries to fly.
I like Luna. A lutino reminds me of the moon. I like Leo, too. Don't worry about boy name vs girl name. I named the baby budgie I hand raised Rocky the day she hatched and at six weeks old it was clear that Rocky was a girl but who cares? Her name is still Rocky and she is one tough girl budgie!

OP
Luqman

Luqman

Apr 16, 2023
Parrots
Cockatiels and budgies
The bald spot isn't a disease- it's a condition caused by inbreeding to get lutino birds. It isn't harmful but lutino birds are genetically weaker and MAY not be as strong and healthy as normal colored birds. Don't worry about it! As for gender, apparently you can't tell by just looking at a lutino cockatiel. Either get a DNA test or as he matures a male will be more vocal than a female. Females seldom whistle songs. Pick a very short simple tune you like and whistle it a lot. If its a male it should pick it up pretty quickly. Whatever gender, you have a gorgeous new friend and I'm sure you two will be happy. You can probably pick up a bigger cage used online. A small cage isn't too big a problem if you take him out of the cage a lot to play, fly, and just hang out together. He looks pretty tame and relaxed.
If you get the wings trimmed make sure they trim both of them. Some people only trim one wing which badly throws off the birds flight and the poor bird will crash into everything if it tries to fly.
I like Luna. A lutino reminds me of the moon. I like Leo, too. Don't worry about boy name vs girl name. I named the baby budgie I hand raised Rocky the day she hatched and at six weeks old it was clear that Rocky was a girl but who cares? Her name is still Rocky and she is one tough girl budgie!
Since I am still studying I might not be able to spent that much time with him, but I can at least spent around maybe 6-8 hours. Maybe more. Yeah I like luna, Imma go with Luna, thanks!!!

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Since I am still studying I might not be able to spent that much time with him, but I can at least spent around maybe 6-8 hours. Maybe more. Yeah I like luna, Imma go with Luna, thanks!!!
Even if you are quietly studying with him in the room you're still spending time together.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Congratulations on your new bird!

I would not recommend you clip the birds wings. This is the most crucial confidence building time for your baby and clipping the wings now can drastically change the way a bird behaves.

The only time I advise clipping is if you arenā€™t able to provide a safe environment.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
Congratulations on your new bird!

I would not recommend you clip the birds wings. This is the most crucial confidence building time for your baby and clipping the wings now can drastically change the way a bird behaves.

The only time I advise clipping is if you arenā€™t able to provide a safe environment.
I agree.

Most Reactions

Latest posts