RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Conny - Sun Conure (my sister's bird)
Soon to own a second sun conure
Photo dump! Here are a bunch of pictures I took at Wagga Wagga botanical gardens NSW one time, can't remember when. It's so cool there, I suggest pop in if any of you Australians cross in through there, they have many birds.

There was a female rainbow lorikeet, and I kept seeing different people try and feed her fruit but the bird only shredded them up. She was protecting her babies in the nest, but they didn't know that she was actually upset about them being there. I was the only person who gave her the space, and in return she later flew over to me and started saying "hello" and climbed onto my hand!! That was so cool!

I had a really good picture of a budgie in the tree, but I can't find a picture anywhere!

Attachments

• Black swan 2.jpg
    Black swan 2.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 14
  • black swan.jpg
    black swan.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IRN.jpg
    IRN.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Plum headed parakeets.jpg
    Plum headed parakeets.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 13
  • Superb parrot.jpg
    Superb parrot.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Lorikeet.jpg
    Lorikeet.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 13
  • King parrot.jpg
    King parrot.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 14
  • Mallee ringneck.jpg
    Mallee ringneck.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 12
  • Hello lorikeet!.jpg
    Hello lorikeet!.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1183.jpg
    IMG_1183.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 14
  • king.jpg
    king.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 15
  • EAB73049-333C-41BE-B5AA-B136E8067E11.jpg
    EAB73049-333C-41BE-B5AA-B136E8067E11.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 14
  • Princess Parrot.jpg
    Princess Parrot.jpg
    666.7 KB · Views: 18

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Birds can spot a 'Bird Person" from across the ways, every time!
Another week and she may have brought her babies over so that they know what to look for in a 'bird person!'

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Birds can spot a 'Bird Person" from across the ways, every time!
Another week and she may have brought her babies over so that they know what to look for in a 'bird person!'
I agree! My husband and I did a Cockatoo meet and greet at the zoo a month or so ago. When we walked in there were two other Cockatoos hanging out on their perches. As soon as my husband and I walked in they started doing the LOUD, ear splitting Cockatoo screams nonstop! When the two people behind us in line went in after we were done they were dead silent! They really do know. Maybe it’s because I looked at them and said β€œhi guys!”

So cool the Lori came over to tell you hi! I would have been so excited at that!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
Photo dump! Here are a bunch of pictures I took at Wagga Wagga botanical gardens NSW one time, can't remember when. It's so cool there, I suggest pop in if any of you Australians cross in through there, they have many birds.

There was a female rainbow lorikeet, and I kept seeing different people try and feed her fruit but the bird only shredded them up. She was protecting her babies in the nest, but they didn't know that she was actually upset about them being there. I was the only person who gave her the space, and in return she later flew over to me and started saying "hello" and climbed onto my hand!! That was so cool!

I had a really good picture of a budgie in the tree, but I can't find a picture anywhere!
Thanks for sharing those great pictures.
I've been to Wagga but didn't visit their botanical Gardens unfortunately.
Take a walk down the banks of the Murrumbidgee and you'll see bird life.

We truly are so blessed here in Australia with such a huge range of birds and parrots I couldn't name them all.

OP
RingneckRave

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

I agree! My husband and I did a Cockatoo meet and greet at the zoo a month or so ago. When we walked in there were two other Cockatoos hanging out on their perches. As soon as my husband and I walked in they started doing the LOUD, ear splitting Cockatoo screams nonstop! When the two people behind us in line went in after we were done they were dead silent! They really do know. Maybe it’s because I looked at them and said β€œhi guys!”

So cool the Lori came over to tell you hi! I would have been so excited at that!
What a cool story! Very interesting!!

I was so surprised when the lorikeet flew over to greet me and say "hello!"
At this place they have a bunch of aviaries for many different parrot species, then there's the big one, I mean BIG one.
It's an interactive aviary and contain a bunch of different Australian parrots (and one kakariki) that flock with their own species and co-exist. The largest flocks in there are the budgies and cockatiels, my guess is perhaps 30 birds?

Amazing experience... a bunch of the birds are friendly and you are allowed to pull seed from the feeders to offer to them. Right outside the sanctuary they have a cafe and a playground, in the trees are the most active kookaburra flock I've (personally) seen in my life and you are literally guaranteed to hear them laugh together at least once. I've been there more than once because it's just so worth it. I could talk about that place all day!

Free as a bird

Jul 29, 2023
Parrots
2 cockatiels
What a cool story! Very interesting!!

I was so surprised when the lorikeet flew over to greet me and say "hello!"
At this place they have a bunch of aviaries for many different parrot species, then there's the big one, I mean BIG one.
It's an interactive aviary and contain a bunch of different Australian parrots (and one kakariki) that flock with their own species and co-exist. The largest flocks in there are the budgies and cockatiels, my guess is perhaps 30 birds?

Amazing experience... a bunch of the birds are friendly and you are allowed to pull seed from the feeders to offer to them. Right outside the sanctuary they have a cafe and a playground, in the trees are the most active kookaburra flock I've (personally) seen in my life and you are literally guaranteed to hear them laugh together at least once. I've been there more than once because it's just so worth it. I could talk about that place all day!
Damn I can't believe I went to Wagga and didn't see this massive aviary your talking about.

Canberra is another great city to see birds in the wild. There is also a big aviary there.

OP
RingneckRave

RingneckRave

Aug 16, 2023
NSW, Australia
Parrots
Bluey - Indian ringneck
Sunny - Indian ringneck

Damn I can't believe I went to Wagga and didn't see this massive aviary your talking about.

Canberra is another great city to see birds in the wild. There is also a big aviary there.
Welp, now you know where to visit if you ever pass by!

And noted, will consider.

Though I'd love to visit Queensland again some day because there are different birds I haven't seen yet and I love the tropics

Most Reactions

Latest posts