Soil in Parrot House

Markus

Apr 4, 2021
Phrae, Thailand
Parrots
1 Greenwing, 1 B/G, 2 Harlequin Macaws and some small stuff :)
Hi,

we are currently finishing up the parrot house for our 4 macaws here in northern Thailand.

My question is if it makes sense, instead of having a concrete floor, to put a layer of soil in which would have (in my naive thinking) these advantages

1. Bacteria would take care of bird droppings
2. It would help with sound proofing.
3. And maybe can be able to grow some small vegetation on it ?

But there are also probably disadvantages. Anybody has any experience with this kind of thing ?

btw; I know that some soil is toxic for birds (chemicals, fungi). Just know sure if there is a way to find out what is safe and what not.

Thanks!!

IMG_0414.jpeg

Last edited:

Noahs_Birds

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 24, 2019
Toowoomba/Highfields, QLD, Australia
Parrots
Yellow Sided GCC's, Rosa Bourkes Parrots, Full Red Fronted Turqoisine Parrots, Quaker Parrots 'Scomo PM' 'Jenny PM's wife', PLUS: Rare Finches, Doves and Quail
Just plain Concrete is the best, so easy to clean and nasties don’t grow as easily. You can put course sand down instead of soil, but concrete is best. Soil is not good at all, can very easily harbour fungi and parasitic worms etc.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
No suggestions, but wow, that's going to be one great parrot house. Can I move in too??

OP
M

Markus

Apr 4, 2021
Phrae, Thailand
Parrots
1 Greenwing, 1 B/G, 2 Harlequin Macaws and some small stuff :)
Just plain Concrete is the best, so easy to clean and nasties don?t grow as easily. You can put course sand down instead of soil, but concrete is best. Soil is not good at all, can very easily harbour fungi and parasitic worms etc.

Ok, thanks so much for the feedback. Makes sense, I just need to find something else to reduce the echo / sound proof it a bit more though ... . Problem these guys destroy about everything.

Ephy

Jan 3, 2018
Canada
Parrots
A 4 year old House Sparrow named Kiwi and a 22 year old dove named Baby
There was a YouTube video I watched a long time ago and they used something that might have been called builders tarp? Or builders paper??

It was black vinyl type looking material..they would just pull it up, replace it with a clean one then hose off tje dirty one outside.

Sorry i wish i could remember the video or what it was actually called.

Most Reactions

Latest posts